[tei-council] EDW90 proposals (1 of several)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Jul 31 16:34:08 EDT 2005

Syd Bauman wrote:

>><revisionDesc> applies to the document, not the header, surely?
>>

>I have often entered <change> elements in a <revisionDesc> that
>describe a change to the <teiHeader>. I think of <revisionDesc> as a
>revision description of the entire file (<TEI.2>, <teiCorpus2>,
>whatever).

Yes, so do I.

>We might create a mechanism for stating that a particular <change> in
>the <revisionDesc> applies to only the <teiHeader>, not the <text>.
>(E.g., attribute scope { ( "header" | "text" | "both" ) } or
>something like that)

yrugh. If you must. I find it hard to imagine when one would
make use of it in Real Life (tm).

>Really good point. The problem is that "they", the folks who use
><witness>, already have sigil= in P4. So it's not a question of
>letting "them" have a special name, it will be viewed more as taking
>away the special name currently available.

Well, P5 never promised to be backward compatible. Lots of people
are going to have to get used to small (but significant to them) changes.

If @sigil *is* a normal ID, there is no argument, it must be @xml:id.
Unless James can argue his case in full court.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk