[tei-council] regularizing names

Julia Flanders Julia_Flanders at brown.edu
Sat Jul 9 13:46:36 EDT 2005

John, thanks! Just in case it wasn't clear, we do envision having the
option of pointing to an external file (whether locally maintained or
maintained somewhere else). Our suggestion was that this pointing happen
from the <regName> element--in other words, you always point from <name>
(<persName>, etc.) to <regName>, and then the <regName> either tells you
what you want to know or points you outward via its url= attribute. It
could even do both.

I think you're right that this overlaps conceptually with key=, and I
pondered this a bit yesterday. It seems to me that the distinction
between key= and reg= is still that key= is a way of taking you to
information about a person, and reg= is a way of providing (or taking
you to) information about a name. In the situations Perry is
envisioning, where name authority records are the source of information
about the name, they also happen to provide that information by
providing information about a person. But this is incidental, and might
not always be the case.

I also think your idea about where <regName> might live seems
reasonable. I assume that if we do develop a new prosopographic module,
it will live in <profileDesc> and this could be incorporated thereunto.

Best, Julia