[tei-council] TEI and ISO 639-6

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri May 27 03:57:40 EDT 2005

I met the lady mentioned as the source of this rumour at an ISO meeting
somewhere last year (Jeju?  Lisbon? it's all a blur)  and had a brief
conversation with her about the TEI's proposals on language
identification, mentioning in particular Christian's name as the head
of the relevant TEI  work group and the fact that we were adopting an
ISDO multipart identifier approach. As is my wont I also doubtless made
warm and encouraging noises about the TEI always being willing to work
with other communities and steal those ideas which we liked. I then
participated in a meeting of the ISO workgroup concerned (SC4/WG2 I
think?) and witnessed at first hand the awful mess which is ISO 639-6
at present. To my partially-informed eye, the proposals coming out of
the Linguasphere lobby (which was heavily represented at this meeting)
looked  inappropriate for TEI use (or any one else's really); a point
which I made in the meeting. I was also struck by the very unseemly way
in which the politics of the meeting were handled. So, I agree with
Laurent, this is a can of worms we should keep our nose out of.
(Irrelevant linguistic note for Laurent:  if you "stand by" you are
usually holding back from action but expecting to receive orders to
proceed at short notice: cf "back up"; I think a better idiom here
would be that we recommend a  "stand off" or "hands off" position)

Lou (just back from Croatia and catching up on email)