[tei-council] more on internationalization

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue May 24 04:09:33 EDT 2005

Laurent Romary wrote:

> It is probably a good time to state their meaning more precisely.
> Basically (and under Lou's control):
> - <gloss> makes explicit the name that is encoded in the tag name
> (respStmt -> responsability statement); in a sense it provides a term
> (a noun phrase that can be used to designate the corresponding concept)
> - <desc> is the definitional field for the element. It is where a TEI
> user should find the reference information for it.

so <gloss> should have been used relatively rarely? it seems to have
been (ab)used to describe <valItem> entries, eg

    <attDef ident="unit" usage="req">
        <equiv/>
        <desc>indicates what kind of section is changing at this
milestone.</desc>

      <datatype><rng:text
xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"/></datatype>
      <valList type="semi">
        <valItem ident="page">

          <equiv/>
          <gloss>page breaks in the reference edition.</gloss>
        </valItem>
        <valItem ident="column">

this should have been <desc>, right?

It won't be hard to do an analysis of  all this, but I think it
may mean some global changes.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk