[tei-council] more on internationalization

Laurent.Romary at loria.fr Laurent.Romary at loria.fr
Mon May 23 23:25:19 EDT 2005

Selon Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>:

> since Alejandro did so much work already, I think it would be well
> worth finishing Spanish.  I also think French should be done, for
> historical reasons.
As a matter of fact, there is already a group of French colleagues who have been
working on some kind of translation activities for a few month. We have recently
made them move to consider the translation of P5 element descriptions and/or to
prepare introductory material in French. We also asked for them to consider
compiling examples that would feed <egXML> with more French looking data.
Lou should meet them when he goes to Lyon at the end of this month.

> My main worry about starting this exercise is that it provides a distraction
> from P5, and is impacted by it. Since the elements and attributes for P5
> are not frozen yet, is it sensible to start translating? yes, 99% of it
> will be unchanged,
> but there is a management problem if we are trying to merge material into
> a moving target.

I agree with this, this is why the first emergency is to have a document
planning those translation activities (list of "stable chapters", priorities,
etc.).

Laurent