[tei-council] ODD manual

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon May 9 08:38:06 EDT 2005

Julia Flanders wrote:

>  For instance, when reading through the example, I find myself
> wondering what the implications of including an element in a
> particular class are: does it mean that it gets to use certain
> attributes? can one add an element to any class at will or is there a
> possibility of producing something that is self-contradictory at a
> technical level (that is, it's not just silly--it doesn't work). I
> don't think (anticipating a possible objection) that the class system
> needs to be presented in huge detail to bog the reader down, just a
> brief explanation to anticipate these kinds of questions, with a
> pointer to some more complete account elsewhere.

You have come across, I think, a tension in this document which is
caused by not knowing what what else
people will have read when they come to this stuff.  My intention in
writing it is that it will appear in a book
about the TEI, which would be self-contained (ie, not mandate access to
the complete Guidelines). So an earlier chapter would
have explained the class system and answered your (entirely sensible)
questions.

of course, the big chapter in the Guidelines will need lots of rewriting
in this area too.

how to predict whether what you do will cause self-contradictory results
is a thorny issue,
which Laurent's folks raised too. Yesterday I made an Odd which deleted
<row> but not <table>.
Not surprisingly, the schema was invalid. All my tools so far fail to
give much help in warning me
this was a dumb thing to do.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk