[tei-council] another new look

Natasha Smith nsmith at email.unc.edu
Fri Mar 11 11:57:08 EST 2005

Hello:

I like the look - clean and elegant. I think it's big step forward and it
certainly reflects current webpages "look and feel."

A few suggestions:

  1.. I think the order of options of the main page should be different -
the "main stuff" fist:

The TEI Guidelines: the chief deliverable of the TEI project

Projects using the TEI

TEI Tutorials

TEI Software

TEI History

Just the FAQ

Then about TEI-C:

All about the TEI Consortium: its organization and constitution

List of current members (I agree with Perry that it's a very important
attracting point)

Activities: ongoing activities organized by the TEI consortium

SIGs

How to join

Members only area

Maybe we can even divide those two different - at least in my mind - groups
of topics more visually on the main page.

 2. Subsequently, the order on the upper navigation bar/ header on every
page should be changed

from

Activities | Consortium | FAQs | Guidelines | History | Join in/Contact |
Members | Projects | SIGs | Software | Tutorials

To something like:

Home| Guidelines| Projects | Tutorials| Software| Activities| Consortium |
History | Join in/Contact | Members |FAQs

Actually, I would even propose to consider dividing those links between
header and footer, and moving links to TEI-C-related topics to the footer.
Pages on average are not that long and links will note be lost from users'
eyes.

Header:

Home | Guidelines | Projects | Tutorials | Software | History |

Footer:

Consortium | Members [List of current members not "Members only area"]  |
Activities | Join in/Contact us | FAQs | Members only area

3. Bread crumbs are great - I love them. I would suggest though to make them
of a smaller font (that what they usually are on pages), otherwise they
blend with the header.

4. I am not sure I am clear what "Skip links" means. What does it do? Not
much, but it distracts from more important information and make page
unnecessary busy.

5. on page http://www.tei-c.org:81/Faq/#rh-col I am not sure you need the
list of FAQs both as a list and TOC on the left side. It's a bit confusing.

6. Page http://www.tei-c.org:81/Software/

TOC on the left contains two divs - 1. TEI-Specific tools and 2. Generic
tools

The Software page itself is the same as div1 "TEI-Specific tools". Maybe it
should include a short intro to two following sections of "TEI-Specific" and
"Generic" tools? Also, it would be helpful if on page "Generic Tools" 9
http://www.tei-c.org:81/Software/index.xml.ID=body.1_div.2)  breadcrumbs to
have the full path -Home>Software>Generic Tools, and to be truncated on
Software.

7. I would suggest to link TEI-C logo to the home page (usability studies
show that people tend to click on any logo, or identity-like symbols.

8. Finally, I would suggest to get rid of a link to "TEI home page" on the
right side under the upper navigation bar -  anyway it's lost among all the
options/links.

Those are my two cents/pennies/kopeks worth comments. Will send more if you
want :-))

Best, ns