[tei-council] Afnor Info

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Mar 2 19:38:31 EST 2005

Council Members attending next months meeting at AFNOR are recommended
to book themselves into any one of the hotels in the region around Gare
du Nord, Paris: in the 10eme.  I have no particular recommendation on
this subject and there are dozens of websites which will do a better job
than me. Laurent who is a creature of habit always stays at the same
hotel  -- the Ibis Gare de L'est --  but if someone is willing to put
effort into researching a better alternative they should do so!

I can however provide some useful information about getting to AFNOR :

Directions to AFNOR:

Association Française de Normalisation
11, avenue Francis de Pressensé
93571 Saint-Denis La Plaine Cedex

Tel. : (0)1 41 62 80 00
Fax : (0)1 49 17 90 00

But you really really don't want to go there except for a meeting, which
is done as follows:

Take the RER (high speed metro) train from Gare du Nord in the direction
of Roissy (Charles de Gaulle) airport, making sure *not* to get on a
train which is going non-stop-to-the-airport. You can buy tickets from
machines at Gare du Nord (your destination is outside the usual Metro
zone, so your average metro ticket isn't good enough). Leave the train
at La Stade de France, which should be the first stop (unless as
aforesaid you've got on the wrong train, in which case you have no
choice but to proceed towards the airport and then come back again). It
takes about 10-15 minutes.

As you walk out of the station, you will see directly ahead of you a
large white circular building labelled AFNOR. Walk down the nice
tree-lined street towards it, taking care not to get killed crossing the
intersection in front of it.  This is France. They drive their cars fast
and on the wrong side of the road.

Do we have any idea what time the meeting will start on Thursday? I
have  an engagement in London on the Weds evening, which may finish too
late for me to get the last train that evening; in which case I may be
arriving Thurs morning with a bad hangover....

Lou