[tei-council] url vs xlink:href

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Feb 14 08:26:54 EST 2005

John A. Walsh wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This may have been discussed before I recently joined the council, but
> is there a reason why P5 uses "url" instead of "xlink:href" for its
> general purpose linking attribute?

sow09:

"This has since been rejected once it was
  realized that in TEI this attribute can point to multiple
  places (i.e., is of type <ident
 type="datatype">tei.pointers</ident>), unlike the HTML
            attribute which can only point to one element."

You may well argue that we should make the ability to point to multiple
places
be a special case, or not allowed at all.

The endless problems caused by trying to implement xml:lang and xml:id
make me feel decidely against xlink:href. "href" would be plausible,
bearing in
mind the above.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk