[tei-council] addendum to agenda (biblItem)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Nov 28 15:33:41 EST 2004

Syd Bauman wrote:

> That is, because (I feel) this single issue does
>not merit an entire WG being chartered, it's Council's job to work it
>out.

you could argue that Council should charter the "using the TEI for
new documents" workgroup, and that would include bibliographies

>I don't know anything about what work is being done in OpenOffice,
>but I don't understand at first blush why TEI should be concerned
>about it.

OO is an example of another communuty working in exactly the same area,
marking up bibliographies. The reason we should be concerned is that
the main use of this in the TEI world (I assume) is for bibliographies
in metadata or new documents; and that means interaction with other systems.
Its not a maybe, its an essential (in my mind) to be able to interact
with bibliographical databases like Endnote.

>I think in general we should be looking how to encode things
>properly, and only ask about concrete details like implementations
>and compatibility when considering different "correct" approaches.
>I.e., it's important not to compromise good encoding for current
>pragmatics.

I agree in principle, but it's the large and active worlds
of a) people doing bibliographical database software, and b) the
MODS-like librarians, who are making the running in this area.
IMHO :-}

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk