[tei-council] addendum to agenda (biblItem)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Nov 28 12:29:32 EST 2004

Laurent Romary wrote:

> - I do not see why there is a need for relatedBiblItem, where a
> recursive biblItem (together with the attributes that are
> contemplated)  would do the trick, it seems. My main

I agree with this, after an admittedly fairly quick read.
<relatedBiblItem> seems unnecessary.

I'd also like to see the use of the target attribute spelt out in
examples. do I
say

<biblItem type="article">
   <author>Thaller, Manfred</author>
   <title>A Draft Proposal for a Standard for the Coding of Machine Readable Sources</title>
   <relatedBiblItem role="host" type="book" target="#Greenstein"/>
</biblItem>

? though in that case it isn't clear why I would not use

   <ptr target="#Greenstein" type="book"/>

In general, I think that this sort of proposal is a good way to go, but
it looks
premature for a Council decision now.  It's such a complicated area,
where interchange and compatibility is even more important than usual.
I want to see concrete proof of interchange, to ensure (for example)
that the work
being done in OpenOffice is compatible.

I also wonder, naturally, whether the TEI should be working in this area
of structured bibliographies. We could just suggest that people
code stuff in the MODS namespace.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk do