[tei-council] Re: choice

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 22 18:51:59 EST 2004

Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> Christian Wittern wrote:
>

>> Which brings me to the question:  What is the status of <choice>?
>>

> A good question!  Here's my attempt at an answer. Anyone interested in
> the history of the discussion can of course read it by going to the
> tei-choice list archive, readily accessible from the tei sourceforge
> site (go to http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=41178)
> The most recent posting was a useful summary of various possible
> approaches to an implementation which Syd produced in September. For
> those who don't want to wade through the sourceforge archive, I've also
> placed this on the TEI website at
> http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/Choice/summary.txt

Thank you.  I spend a few hours on that sf archive in early September
and did not want to repeat that experience...

> So, my view now (which I will also post to the TEI-choice list for
> comment) is that we ought to allow for 2 or more elements from the
> "tei.choosable" class inside <choice> and leave it at that. The members
> of that class are up for grabs, but my current preferred list would be
> course.

> <choice>
>   <reg>first</reg>
> </choice>
>
> For a given application, of course, people may well want to constrain
> the choosable elements, or add others to them. But the basic
> out-of-the-box element, I suggest, need not be any more complex than this.

Looks good to me.  I assume that choice can have more than 2 direct
children.  I wonder however, how would an encoder specify paths
through these choices -- this seems to be especially a problem for
children that do not carry semantic bagagge, like <seg>.  Can we say
something about how we use them in the header?

All the best,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern