[tei-council] xml-colon-thing

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Nov 22 15:00:44 EST 2004

I see both sides of this coin.

* Why would one want to need an eXist database to do something so
  simple? Seems almost ridiculous.

* On the other hand, pointers like "#duck" say exactly what they
  mean, whereas pointers like "../pond.xml#duck" references the file
  structure, which is an artificial hierarchy and naming system
  imposed upon the document, and could change willy-nilly.

So personally, I'm undecided but leaning towards "#duck".
That said ...

> but you can't use a relative URI. a URI points to another
> document. the other chapters are not other documents.

This doesn't make sense to me (prima facie becuas "#duck" *is* a
relative URI, but I think we both mean a spelled-out relative URI).
If I am editing the file

  /home/syd/music_discussion.xml

why can't I specify

    albums<anchor xml:id="bas"/>.</p>
  <note target="./music_discussion.xml#bas"/>When I finally cleaned
    house, I found 3 copies of <title>Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts
    Club Band</title>.</note>

??