[tei-council] xml-colon-thing

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at brown.edu
Mon Nov 22 14:31:07 EST 2004

> >* Changing P5 so that it refers to xml:id= is a bit of a deal, as
> >  all Sebastian's style-sheets need to be changed to match.
> this has to be done regardless. I am now happy to bite the
> bullet

Excellent. We'll talk off-list about when.

> I suspect there are so few uses of IDREFS that it won't be that
> hard.

(That was "IDREFs", not "IDREFS" ... I hope we're not talking
cross-purposes.) I'll bet you're right, there are probably very few
uses of IDREF in the Guidelines except for <ptr> and <ref>, and
perhaps an occasional <lang>. I don't even think we use target= of
<note>. But I could swear you had said it was important (for a
variety of reasons, not the least of which would be your sanity) to
alter the stylesheets all at once, not just the needed-for-Guidelines
set. In which case you need to change the processing of every single
IDREF or IDREFS attribute.

> thats automated, if the examples are done right

May be true, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still quite a
lot of work. Besides, our experience with P4 demonstrates that
examples need to be eyed by a human even if auto-validated.

> I'm ready to bring this forward a bit; I am also rather inclining
> to your view now, that we should close P5 for a week and do it in
> one big go.

Either way. But if we do the "close for a week" method, we need to
take a "snapshot" before we start messing around, to make backing out
easy if something goes wrong.