[tei-council] [John Smith <john.smith at oriental.cam.ac.uk>] End of word

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Aug 26 19:27:46 EDT 2004

Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> > I find this very frustrating. There are Council members on the
> > workgroup, and it would make much more sense if they raised their
> > objections to the approaches we are developing in the workgroup's own
> > discussions, rather than conducting a parallel debate elsewhere.
>
> I agree that it would be very good to see the debate carried on properly,
> whether it is on the workgroups private list, on the TEI sourceforge site or
> elsewhere. I have not seen any debate as such though: John produced a proposal,
> which the Council commented on at its last meeting. I haven't seen any public
> attempt to address the concerns since then.

I see his complaints being more about the loops between the WG and
the Council.  He asked for comments on the WG list before he
presented his stuff to the Council.  It would have been more helpful
to have the discussion at that time.

Anyway, what happened to the idea of merging the Sanskrit discussion
with the <choice> advocates?  Where is that issue discussed now?

> I have had private conversations
> with both John (as I mentioned above) and also with Felix Sasaki, but those are
> not the same as public debate, which I entirely agree is lacking on this as on
> many other matters which the CXouncil needs to discuss.

We need to have a list of these issues and a timetable.  Did you
flesh out these a little more?

>  As
> > things stand, it appears that we are having an endlessly prolonged
> > and inconclusive debate.
> >
> > Do you think there is anything that can be done to improve matters? As
> > I have said before, Raymond Doctor and I have a piece of software to
> > write. To be more precise, the development of this software is
> > currently stalled while the developers await the details of the XML
> > markup that it will use. We came to the TEI because we wanted that
> > markup to be "standard", but we both now feel that unless the
> > discussion can be brought to a conclusion fairly soon, it will be
> > better for us to pull out and go ahead with a "home-made" solution. Do
> > you think you can help us avoid this undesirable outcome?

This is the main question I think.  It would be bad news for TEI if
they just walk away and do this on their own, especially since we
seem that close now.

All the best,

Christian

--