[Fwd: Debian TEI delay]

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Jan 25 17:53:48 EST 2004

Syd wrote:

> I only want to be paranoid about variants that claim or seem to be
> from or approved by TEI poisoning the world. Other variants should at
> least be permitted, if not outright encouraged.

that copyright would cover this, surely?

> Furthermore, I am worried that including only a copyright notice like
> the DocBook one fails to warn the user of the negative consequences
> of direct modification of the schema, as opposed to extending it
> properly. Of course, perhaps either the consequences are no longer as
> problematic as they were, and perhaps we no longer care.

not sure of the worry. If the punter takes tei2.dtd and changes
it to foo.dtd, removes the "TEI name" from it, and butchers
it, do we care? what are the bad consequences? that they
think they are using the TEI? if we *do* think this is bad,
we should say that our DTD/schema files are totally inviolable
and live with the consequences viz being left out of
the open source world.

> In short, I would much prefer to see TEI spend 6 months in the
> Non-Free section than to see us hastily make changes we may regret.

but we are the copyright owners. we can reissue the stuff
with new copyrights as often as we like.

I hate the idea on principle of paying a lawyer (:-}).