[Fwd: Debian TEI delay]

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Jan 24 05:35:29 EST 2004

Board/Council members may wish to consider the attached message. I think
we have
taken our eyes off the ball with regard to licensing.

How many of those reading this would object if the copyright statetemt
on the TEI DTDs and Schemas were changed to something very similar
to what Docbook has? Which is as follows:

  Copyright 1992-2002 HaL Computer Systems, Inc.,
  O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., ArborText, Inc., Fujitsu Software
  Corporation, Norman Walsh, Sun Microsystems, Inc., and the
  Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information
  Standards (OASIS).

  $Id: docbookx.dtd,v 1.20 2004/01/21 18:54:21 nwalsh Exp $

  Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute the DocBook XML DTD
  and its accompanying documentation for any purpose and without fee
  is hereby granted in perpetuity, provided that the above copyright
  notice and this paragraph appear in all copies.  The copyright
  holders make no representation about the suitability of the DTD for
  any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without expressed or implied
  warranty.

  If you modify the DocBook DTD in any way, except for declaring and
  referencing additional sets of general entities and declaring
  additional notations, label your DTD as a variant of DocBook.  See
  the maintenance documentation for more information.

  Please direct all questions, bug reports, or suggestions for
  changes to the docbook at lists.oasis-open.org mailing list. For more
  information, see http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/.

the safe side,
does this not cover us?

I for one feel quite strongly that we should let the open source philosophy
win, and not be paranoid about variants poisoning the world.

Sebastian