P4 to P5

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Dec 17 10:55:15 EST 2003

Syd Bauman wrote:
>>I now imagine
>>  <TEI xmlns="http://namespace.tei-c.org/" teiversion="5">
>>how does that strike others?
> I'd still like to know if it makes sense to use a URN instead of a
> URL, and if not, why not.

let me be the first to come out and admit I don't really understand what
a URN, as opposed to a URL, is.......

> The version number is too imprecise. Although we prefer to avoid
> doing it, we do make real changes between major releases. I'm in
> favor of something along the lines of "P4:2002-05".

I am in favour of simple numbering. its what most people do. This will
be major release 5.0, the revision will be 5.1, etc. why complicate it
with date notations? numeric versions have the BIG BIG advantage that
they can be read by software:

  <xsl: if test="/TEI/@teiversion &gt; 5.1">.....

ebastian

--
Sebastian Rahtz      Information Manager
Oxford University Computing Services