term of service of TEI council members

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Oct 31 01:41:26 EST 2003

Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at brown.edu> writes:

> I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and say that I think it would be
> better for the organizational health of the TEI if a councilor's term
> started on the 01 Jan following the election, lasting for two years
> (i.e., until the 31 Dec roughly 26 months after the election).
> Besides addressing the concerns above, this also gives incoming
> councilors the opportunity to read up on minutes and issues and query
> their outgoing colleagues before "taking the helm". I think it should
> be standard operating procedure that the councilors-elect be
> permitted to join council conference calls (at TEI expense), but not
> face-to-face meetings (at least not at TEI expense), without a vote.
> Probably should sign 'em up on the council list, too.

I fully agree to this proposal, wich in fact aligns nicely with my
memory of the constituing meeting of the TEI Council January 2002 in
London, where my impression was that the terms had started with the
beginning of the year.
> Suggested Course of Action
> --------- ------ -- ------
> 1. Council should discuss my proposal and decide to endorse it or not
>    immediately.
> 2. If council decides to endorse it, someone (Christian or I) should
>    draft a quick request to the Board that they consider this
>    problem, along with our recommended solution, at their meeting on
>    Sun 09 Nov.

I second this.  If the other council members agree to this course of
action, I would like to ask Syd to draft the request (for which most
of the work is already done).

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern