Request for approval: TEI Training Course at Rhodes University

Alejandro Bia alex.bia at ua.es
Thu Aug 28 13:43:52 EDT 2003

Dear all,

I think we must support all initiatives to spread the methods and
technologies we believe in with the same spirit of an evangelizing mission.
So I see no reasons to object. In fact, it looks like a very interesting
hands-on crash-course to be carried out by qualified professionals. So I
vote for yes, definitely.

Best regards,
Alex.-

PS: On teaching by examples

 From a passage I once read (and copy-pasted) from Gandhi's "Swadeshi"
text, I've replaced "religious leaders" by "scholars", since their missions
have much in common (take away the differences), and a nice and inspiring
text results:

"There is a painful thing I am obliged to mention, and it is that our
[scholars], whose duty it is to enlighten people, have forgotten that duty.
This is true, however much it may hurt us. [Scholars] have it in them to
set an example to their followers by their conduct. Mere preaching will
have no effect on those who assemble to listen to their discourses.
[Scholars], too, should follow the rule of swadeshi. They have plenty of
time on hand. They should take to the spinning-wheel and spin and thus set
an example to their followers. More than in the repetition of Rama as they
tell the beads, in the music of the spinning-wheel will they hear the voice
of the atman with a beauty all its own."

Nice, isn't it?

ALEJANDRO G. BIA-PLATAS
e-mail: alex.bia at ua.es

Work address:
   Head of Research and Development
   Miguel de Cervantes Digital Library
   University of Alicante (Ed. Institutos)
   Apdo. de correos 99, E-03080, Alicante, SPAIN
   Phone: 34-96-590 9567     Fax: 34-96-590 9477
   http://cervantesvirtual.com/
   http://cervantesvirtual.com/research/articles/

Teaching:
   Department of Languages and Information Systems (DLSI)
   University of Alicante (Politécnica 4)
   Apdo. de correos 99, E-03080, Alicante, SPAIN
   http://www.dlsi.ua.es/
   abia at dlsi.ua.es

Home address:
   Colonia Romana 13, Edif.1, Port.2, 7-E