Request for approval: TEI Training Course at Rhodes University

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Aug 27 20:15:44 EDT 2003

Dear Council members,

Geoffrey Rockwell, on behalf of the TEI Training Committee has
forwarded me the following note, requesting me to put the matter to a
vote with the Council in a timely fashion.

I would like therefore to ask Council members to consider the
following training proposal, which comes in two notes, look at the
websites, and tell this list wether it should be approved as a TEI
endorsed training course.  Since the timeline is rather short, I would
like to close the voting Sunday evening at midnight UTC.

Christian Wittern

   Attached note follows

>Dear Geoffrey,
>
>On behalf of the Association of Literary and Linguistic Computing I'll
>run a 5 day workshop entitled 'Book & Text Studies: Humanities
>Computing' at Rhodes University (Grahamstown, South Africa, 8-12
>September 2003) together with Melissa Terras (SLAIS-UCL) and Ron Van den
>Branden (CTB-KANTL). Apart from sessions on digitization, project
>managament etc., more than half of the workshop will be devoted to
>XML/TEI, TEILite, and XSL(T) for TEI users. The programme is on-line at
><http://www.kantl.be/ctb/event/2003/rhodes.htm>. There you will find
>answers to all the items which should be covered in a proposal for a
>Text Encoding Initiative Training seal of approval. Due to the short
>time notice of this workshop (I was invited to fill this in only two
>weeks ago) we're still working on the workshop material. The experience
>of the instructors however and the trust the ALLC puts in them,
>guarantees the quality of the workshop contents. The workshop will be
>evaluated by the ALLC executive committee on the basis of a report by
>the workshop leader. This is the first ALLC workshop under the new
>workshop programme. I think a tight link with the TEI would be of
>benefit to both organisations and to (prospective) local organisers.
>Especially for the audience in South Africa, where HC is virtually
>non-existant, this could be a good signal.
>
>Could you consider this workshop for approval by the TEI, so we could
>advertise it as "Certified by the Text Encoding Initiative". Is there
>anything else you expect of me? Is it still possible time-wise?
>
>Best,
>
>Edward Vanhoutte
>--
>
>=============
>Edward Vanhoutte
>Co-ordinator
>Centrum voor Teksteditie en Bronnenstudie - CTB (KANTL)
>Centre for Scholarly Editing and Document Studies
>Reviews Editor, Literary and Linguistic Computing
>Koninklijke Academie voor Nederlandse Taal- en Letterkunde
>Royal Academy of Dutch Language and Literature
>Koningstraat 18 / b-9000 Gent / Belgium
>tel: +32 9 265 93 51 / fax: +32 9 265 93 49
>evanhoutte at kantl.be
>http://www.kantl.be/ctb/
>http://www.kantl.be/ctb/vanhoutte/

section. He sent me this note: