Documents from the Character Encoding WG for review by the Council

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Apr 30 03:35:41 EDT 2003

Dear Council members,

The following documents are now available as part of the results of the Character Encoding WG:

 CEW01: this is intended as a replacement for P4 Chapter 4
 CEW06: this be submitted to replace P4 Chapter 25

I would like to ask Council members to review the  documents
prior to the meeting in May.

(The documents are linked from the WG Website, which is at http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/CE)

Not all of the issues we wanted to adress have been worked out in
these documents.  The list of bugs is as follows:

* Language identification.  The document CEW04 gives the current state
  of discussion, but the WG has not yet revisited the issue and would be
  happy to hear opinions of the Council.

* In CEW06, some advice on how to handle the case where a character that had been defined using the constructs introduced there ends up as a character in Unicode (PUA->UCS migration for short) needs to be introduced.

* CEW06 has not yet markup constructs to allow treatment of characters be influenced by their context (e.g. beginning/end of word, neighboring characters etc.).

Council members might raise and bring to our attention.

Looking forward to a fruitful meeting in Oxford.

All the best,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern