Naming of things

John Unsworth jmu2m at virginia.edu
Wed Mar 26 11:30:22 EST 2003

At 04:04 PM 3/26/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>I would prefer it if Metalanguage was a workgroup,
>since its activities would seem to exactly fit that description.

Fine.

>Council to do an investigation. Does this need a name?

It's a task force.

>I think the distinction between this and the other Things
>is that he does not have the right to claim TEI accreditation.

Look, first of all, he's doing us a favor by taking on some work that we
would like done, so I don't think we should begin by making sure he feels
slighted.  But if what you mean by TEI accreditation is that the TEI has
commissioned the activity, then yes, he can claim that.  If what you mean
is that the results of the work may or may not be accepted by the TEI, then
that's true, but it's as true for workgroups: the Council makes those
decisions case by case.  The distinction between a task force and a work
group is that a task force is not charged with proposing revisions to the
guidelines--though it may be asked to do work that would result in a
workgroup wthat would then propose revisions to the guidelines.  A task
force conducts more narrowly focused or more preliminary investigations, it
seems to me.

John