missed mail re: EDW54

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at brown.edu
Sun Feb 9 22:56:46 EST 2003

Eedk! Several key postings I sent out recently did not make it to the
list due to an error of my own creation (yes, same problem that
caused the bacdklog and then flood on TEI-L). Here are the two on
edw54:

--------- dated 2003-02-03 15:20-05 ---------
> There was a round of comments on the tei-council list, with Tomasz,
> Merrilee, and others providing some detailed feedback.  This was
> around mid-January 2002.

The changes were put into the document on 2002-01-27.

> we approved of the document, but I see no problem in voting the
> matter, for the record.

Well, I had presumed the reverse, that the Council should vote on the
revised document. Thus, the document itself explicitly states
    ... does not represent official policy of the TEI until approved
    by the TEI Council.

(We can presume that the Council is not voting on the part that says
the Council has to vote, and that the editors will just update that
preamble to reflect whatever the Council votes :-)

--------- dated 2003-09-03 20:34-05 ---------
> My comments from last time around, I hope these still make some
> sense:

suggestions you made were applied to the document. Two questions you
raise, however, were left as "outstanding issues":

| > **Documents:
| > Well, should there be an expiration date for documents?
| Good question. I [Syd] am inclined to say that boilerplate text should
| be provided for when there is an expiration date, but that in general
| WG documents should not have one. There may be exceptions, though,
| e.g., when a WG document exists to say "this is how we're going to do
| it until so-and-so publishes a different standard".
| ++Open issue. Bracketted statement removed for now.
|
| > What about the boilerplate text? What goes here?
| Good question. It appears we've survived for years without it,
| although it's not a bad idea. Anyone want to make suggestions?
| ++Open issue. Bracketted statement removed for now.

-----
[1] Posting "new EDW54 changes list (fwd)" from Lou 2002-01-29
    20:59+00.
[2] Are archives of this list available? I didn't even really know
    where to begin to look. http://lists.village.virginia.edu led me
    nowhere but IATH. (Not that IATH isn't a lovely site to visit,
    mind you.) I'm pretty much of a pack-rat, and have all the
    postings. If there are others who are not pack-rats and you want
    me to re-post that message, just say so.
--------- end reposts ---------

Note that Lou & I did *not* remember to remove the "not official
policy until approved" warning notice from the <titlePage>. I'll try
to remember to do that tomorrow.