revised agenda for conference call

John Unsworth jmu2m at virginia.edu
Mon Nov 25 19:20:14 EST 2002

TEI Council Members and Editors:

REVISED AGENDA FOLLOWS

This is a reminder that the TEI Council will hold a conference call on
Tuesday, November 26th, at 1 pm UTC.  To adjust for your local time, see
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html.  (Hints: 8 am eastern
time in the US; 5 am in California; 10 pm in Japan).

Please read through the following, in advance of the call.  If you cannot
take part, or are not ready to report as listed below, please let me
know.  If you want council members to look at additional or different
materials for something listed below, just send a note to
tei-council at lists.village.virginia.edu.  If you think there should be other
items on this agenda, let me know as soon as possible.

To Connect to the Call, dial:     (812) 856-3550, Passcode 0612#
For Help, dial:      (812) 856-5759

Expected to participate:

Syd Bauman, Alex Bia, David Birnbaum, Lou Burnard, Matthew Driscoll, David
Durand, Tomaz Erjavec, Merrilee Proffitt,  Sebastian Rahtz, Laurent Romary,
Susan Schreibman, John Unsworth, Perry Willett, Christian Wittern.

Agenda:

11 items, 5 to 15 minutes apiece.

1) Minutes of the last conference call, minute-taker for this one. (1-1:05 UTC)

http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0254.html.  A
final version of these belongs at http://www.tei-c.org/Members/index.html
but I don't find it there.

Also, by the way, the list of TEI Council members at

http://www.tei-c.org/Consortium/TEI-TEI-C.html#TEI-council

needs to be brought up to date.

2)  Update from Chris Ruotolo on the SGML-XML Migration Working
Group  (1:05-1:15 UTC)
Charter at http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/edw76.html
Materials at: http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/MI/

3) Update from Christian Wittern on Character Encoding Workgroup (1:15-1:25
UTC)
Original charge: http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/edw72.html
New Terms of reference: http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/ce01.html

and

Questions from Christian Wittern re: P5

"In the reports of the workgroups at MM2 in Chicago, and also in the
discussions of the migration WG immediately after that, it became
clear (at least to me) that there are some architectural decisions
that have to be made on the road to P5.  It would make the work of
these WG's much easier if some of these decisions could be made in a
timely way. What I have in mind here are the following issues, but
this is just from my own perspective, whereas the problem area is
clearly much larger:

- Can we expect entities to be available in P5?
   Background:  The various XML schema languages have to my knowledge
   decided to abandon entities.  What to we do?  (My concern is here
   more with the TEI 'user space', as opposed to the use of entities
   internal to DTD processing, which probably would not be affected.)
   One of the many areas affected would be "Section 6.2 Treatment of
   Punctuation", which will need some revision anyway.

- Should/could  P5 limit the content of attribute values to tokens
   (and similar material) as opposed to the many attribute values in
   P4, which allow essentially the same content as in PCDATA.
   Background:  Attribute values are different from PCDATA in that they
   can not contain other markup constructs.  This makes it impossible,
   for example, to specify language, writing system, readings and the
   like for the content of attribute values.  Additionally, there is some
area of
   conflict between XML:lang and language specification in  TEI, which
   could be cleared up as well.
   To make this possible, things like
   <corr sic="foo">bar</corr> would have to be expressed as
   <seg>
      <corr>bar</corr>
      <sic>foo</sic>
   </seg>
   Since this would require a considerable change to the architecture
   of TEI and the view of its underlying text (which could not be
   considered to be 'simply a concetanation of all #PCDATA in a
   document', I would appreciate a statement from the council on this."

4)  Update from David Durand on the Stand-Off Markup Working Group
(1:25-1:35 UTC)
(Charter at http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/edw74.html)

discussion are John Unsworth, Julia Flanders, Perry Willett, Ken Price,
Natasha Smith, Nancy Kushigian, Chris Powell, Merrilee Proffitt, and Daniel
Pitti.

"TEI in Libraries Working Group

Objectives:

To create a suite of TEI-approved materials and tools to support
the use of TEI in a digital library setting, including:

1. A set of guidelines for the use of TEI in libraries, building on
    the existing document "TEI Text Encoding in Libraries Guidelines"
    from 1999, and enhancing it by considering library-specific encoding
    needs and approaches, by updating it to include P4 and XML dtds, and
    by adding examples and enhanced explanations, recommendations for
    headers, linking page images to text, use by vendors, etc.;
2. A set of specific dtds for various encoding levels;
3. XSL stylesheets;
4. a working system for search and display, using lightweight,
    open source components;
5. a set of training documents, with training workshops for
    librarians.

To do this, the working group will

1. Investigate grant opportunities, particularly with the IMLS
    for drafting the guidelines, and NEH for training and development
    activities. (We'll have to restrict the working group to U.S.
    participants for these grants.)
2. Survey current use of the TEI among digital libraries. We will
    coordinate with the TEI SGML/XML Conversion Working Group on this
    activity.
3. Survey development of metadata standards such as METS, MODS, Dublin
    Core, MARCXML, and others, to give recommendations for their use in
    conjunction with TEI-encoded files.

Administrative
  Chair of the workgroup is Perry Willett (Indiana University)

Deadlines
* By December 6, working group membership is set.
* By January 10, a draft grant proposal for IMLS is finished
     to be reviewed by working group members.
* By January 20, the final draft is readied for submission
     to IMLS

By March 1, decision to pursue grant funding from the NEH
for training component (with a series of short deadlines,
ending July 1 with submission of application).

Work via email and perhaps meet as opportunities arise in
conjunction with conferences."

6) Feature Structures and ISO (1:45-1:50 UTC)

Laurent asks:

"Do you think we would have time to validate Garry Simons' proposal to use TEI
Feature Structure Chapters as a basis for an ISO standard on FS interchange
under
the auspicies of TC37/SC4? We have had an important SC4 workshop last week that
endorsed this proposal."

7) Editors' proposal for handling nontrivial changes to the Guidelines
(1:50-1:55 UTC)

See http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/edw78.html

8)  TEI Adoption of Project Materials (1:55-2:10 UTC)

For example, from Charles Faulhaber

(a)  "the DTD for medieval manuscript transcription is now finished and is
available, along with instructions on how to use it at:

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Scriptorium/transcription.html

We would like to submit it formally for vetting by TEI in the hopes of
having it adopted as an official DTD. We're pretty happy with it. I just
wish that we had a good character set to go along with it."

(b) and David Chesnutt's MEP materials:

        http://adh.sc.edu/MepDTDs.html - the MEP dtds

        http://adh.sc.edu/MepGuide.html - the MEP guidelines

        http://adh.sc.edu/meptsdv1.html - the MEP tag library

"Although developed specifically for the historical editing community, the
DTDs are currently being used by similar literary projects like the Mark
Twain letters at UCB and the Thomas Carlyle letters at Duke. Needless to
say, I'm very pleased to see the work go beyond our small group of
historical editors."

There is discussion of this agenda item on the TEI-Council list, October
23rd and following: you may review the discussion at
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/ (username: tei
password: c0ns0rtium).

9) Review of workplan and timetable for TEI P5 (2:10-2:20 UTC)
See http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/p5.html

10) Status of Master/manuscript description work (2:20-2:25 UTC)

News from Matthew Driscoll? Merrilee Proffitt?

11) Next Meetings: (2:25-2:30 UTC)

Conference call:  Some time in late February, early March?  Please be
prepared to set a date.  Items not dealt with from the agenda for this call
will be automatically forwarded to the agenda for our next call.

Face-to-Face: May 16 and 17, 2003 (a Friday/Saturday) Rewley House, Oxford.

Members' Meeting: Friday/Saturday, November 7/8, 2003, Nancy, France.