FW: conference call reminder, agenda and materials

Burnard Towers lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Nov 24 19:28:28 EST 2002

[Likewise this one...]

-----Original Message-----
From: Burnard Towers [mailto:lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk]
Sent: 24 November 2002 23:46
To: tei-council at lists.village.virginia.edu
Subject: RE: conference call reminder, agenda and materials

Can I propose the following additional items for the agenda:

(a) Editors' proposal for handling nontrivial changes to the Guidelines. See
http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/edw78.html (shouldnt take long!)

(b) Review of workplan and timetable for TEI P5. See
http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/p5.html
(could take ages if we discuss the technical aspects)

(c) Status of Master/manuscript description work. MJD to report. (no idea!)

Lou

Further comments are intertwingled below:

I am happy to volunteer as note taker for this one.

> The only minutes I can find from our June 24, 2002 conference call are at
> http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0254.html.  A
> final version of these belongs at http://www.tei-c.org/Members/index.html
> but I don't find it there.

As I see Syd has just fessed up, I won't labour the fact that he did ask the
Council for comments on his provisional draft before it was posted on the
website, which not arriving, is why it never got out of the listserv
archive! Anyway, I have now posted the draft as circulated on 24 June,
taking the opportunity to set up a new Council web page
(http://www.tei-c.org/Council/)

> Also, by the way, the list of TEI Council members at
>
> http://www.tei-c.org/Consortium/TEI-TEI-C.html#TEI-council
>
> needs to be brought up to date.

Yes indeed. Sorry, but I haven't done that yet. Incidentally, did the Board
formally agree to Sebastian's continued nomination as its representative on
the Council, along with Johbn? I hope it did!

> 5) Report from Perry on the proposed TEI in Libraries Working Group.  (15
> minutes)

As Syd points out, I don't recall the Board agreeing that this group should
be a formal TEI workgroup. My believe is that the discussion proposed
setting up a "special interest group" independent of the current TEI
organizational structure.

> This proposal arises out of discussion at the members' meeting in
> Chicago,
> and subsequent discussion on a majordomo list archived at
> http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-lib/.
> Members of this
> discussion are John Unsworth, Julia Flanders, Perry Willett, Ken Price,
> Natasha Smith, Nancy Kushigian, Chris Powell, Merrilee Proffitt,
> and Daniel
> Pitti.

This is great, but I suppose I am duty bound to point out that TEI work
groups are normally expected to include an ex officio TEI editor.