welcome, new members

John Unsworth jmu2m at virginia.edu
Mon Oct 14 12:12:22 EDT 2002

Hello all,

I'm pleased to welcome to the council new and returning members recently
elected at the annual meeting in Chicago:

Alejandro Bia (who was elected for a two-year term)

David Birnbaum (who had served a one-year appointed term on the council,
and now begins a two-year elected term)

David Durand (likewise)

Susan Schreibman (who was elected for a two-year term)

I'd also like to thank Geoff Rockwell for his service: Geoff is rotating
off a one-year appointment to the Council, but has been elected to the Board.

Susan and Alejandro, you're newcomers to the list, so you need to know that
you can send mail to the Council at tei-council at lists.village.virginia.edu
from any of these addresses:

ss423 at umail.umd.edu
susan_schreibman at umail.umd.edu
abia at dlsi.ua.es

If there's another version of your address from which posting should be
allowed, please let me know.  You can also find past proceedings of Council
email discussion on the web, at:

http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/

using the username/password that you use to get into the members area of
the TEI web site, namely

tei
c0ns0rtium

I am also pleased to report that the Board approved a face-to-face meeting
for the Council: in spite of need to economize, the Board felt that such a
meeting would be well worth it. In light of where the various work-groups
are with their tasks, though, and in order to make sure that a face-to-face
meeting could be one at which the Council considered the final
recommendations of those groups, the Board recommended that we move that
meeting back from January to May.  The Board also cancelled its own
face-to-face meeting in May, which had been scheduled to take place in
Oxford, and offered the reservation of the facilities to the
Council.  Here's how Sebastian described those facilities:

>Rewley House, Oxford.
>This is in Wellington Square, Oxford, and is a pleasant
>environment with decent bedrooms and meeting rooms. For computing
>purposes, it's 5 minutes from here (Computing Services). The location is
>central Oxford, 3 minutes walk from the bus station, which is an
>hour by bus from Heathrow airport.

I believe the dates reserved are May 16 and 17, 2003 (a
Friday/Saturday).  If these dates do not work out for us, I don't believe
there's a penalty for cancelling the reservation at this point, but we
should make that decision soon, so please let me know whether you can make
a meeting on these dates.

Also, between now and May, the Council will need to have one or two
conference calls, to keep things moving along.  I would suggest one in
mid-November, one in late February or early March.  Our members are
scattered around the globe, and previous experience suggests that the only
time of day that remotely practical for all members, in real time, will be
at 9 am eastern time in the US, which puts the West Coast participant
(Merrilee) on at 6 a.m., and the participant in Japan (Christian) on at 10
pm, and others at more civilized hours in between.  I'm basing this on:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/personalapplet.html?cities=43,105,136,137,736,287,418,538,325

You should each have a look, to confirm that I have your time zone
represented there.  NB: the US is (and will be, in November) on Daylight
Savings Time, so that although the east coast is normally -5 UTC/GMT, we
will be -4 UTC/GMT for this next call.

Let me suggest two dates for the November call, which should last an hour
and a half at most, and ask each of you to let me know whether you would be
available at the necessary time for your location, on those dates:

November 14 (Thursday), 9 am EDT ( -4 UTC/GMT)
November 21 (Friday), 9 am EDT ( -4 UTC/GMT)

Thanks,

John Unsworth