notes for conference call on 24th

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Jun 23 19:25:15 EDT 2002

for the 10 minutes that John has asked me to deal with,
can I ask participants to have glanced over
http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/oddng.html, and consider some of the
following thoughts.

Core P5 activities 2002-2003
****************************

A) There are a variety of reasons for changing the base markup
of the Guidelines, in no special order:

 * to *analyse* constraint markup

 * to strengthen *existing* datatyping (ie enforce
   limitations now only given in words)

 * to add datatyping (ie convert woolly prose to
   precise limitations)

 * to parameterize all datatype constraints (to allow for
   per-project tightening or loosening)

We can also take the opportunity to bring the ODDs into sync with what is
described in P4, and convert the TSD to a normal tagset.

Most of this is is covered in the "oddng" paper, which argues in
favour of a schema language to replace the existing embedded

 * we can make ODDs consistent in depth of description

 * we need to ask for candidates for addition, addition, or omission
    of tags [re-establish TCC?]

 * we need to consider candidates for correction, addition or omission of
    tagsets [work groups, when funds permit]

 * we should look at revision of the metadata, including
    addition of embedded metadata

Definition of the new tagset has to be complete of 2002. Minimally,
it has to be expressed entirely in XML, and it has to be a TEI
topping. Thereafter, the Council needs to express its views on the
timetable, on the priorities, and how to divide up the work.

Here is a set of stalking horses for the Council to discuss:

  1. The proposal for "son of ODD" markup should be completed by
     12/2002. Responsibility for the initial draft to lie with
     LB and SR.

  2. At the start of 2003, we
      a) release (hopefully) a P4 supplement with the character set
         revision and the manuscript additional tagset
      b) start a public consultation about
         omissions/additions/corrections of tags and tagsets
        (coordinated by SB)
      c) release a table of contents for P5

  3. in 3/2003, we make a public statement about where the TEI is
     going with regard to W3C standards, linking etc; it is clear
     at this point how P5 is going to work.

  4. from 01/2003 to 06/2003, P5 is on the table and open
     for dissection

  5. at the end of 06/2002, P5 is stabilized and is open for content editing

  6. In 12/2003, we release a beta version of P5, for publication in
     2004