omnipress, xlibris, P4

John Unsworth jmu2m at virginia.edu
Sat Apr 20 22:00:50 EDT 2002

OK, consensus is that we should back out of  the deal with Xlibris, and I
agree.  I'll write Ray and explain: the limitation on paper size is
enough.  If Tone Merete and Claus think we can afford the up-front cost of
the offset printing, the quality of that output will clearly be better.  I
have also struck up a conversation with the director of the University of
Virginia Press, and she says that the Press can probably provide
fulfillment services, also marketing, if we want it, on commission.  I
would recommend this route, though I don't think we probably need the
marketing--maybe a  listing in their catalogue would be nice, but otherwise
most of what we'd like to have is fulfillment services--receiving orders
and shipping them.  I will get a quote from her on what that would add to
the cost of the volume--it would not interfere with our having the volume
printed with Omnipress, so we can approach this as a second question, after
the printing is settled.  I'll call Tom Wagner at OmniPress as soon as I
hear directly from Claus or Tone Merete that we can, in fact, afford to
front the cost of printing with them.

John