NEH workgroup (vote required)

John Unsworth jmu2m at virginia.edu
Mon Mar 4 09:18:06 EST 2002

For those who haven't yet voted:

Since Sebastian has withdrawn his name, Chris would appear to be our only
active nominee for chair of the workgroup.   Any dissent on designating her
chair?

Also, a number of people have corrected my ranking of Tobias Rischer, so I
will move him into the experts category, for our recommendations to the
chair.  No one, so far, has dissented on my ranking of Zafrin.

Sebastian and Syd have argued that the Council ought to do more than
appoint the chair and pass our recommendations along.   I refer them to
EDW54, the "Rules and Recommendations for TEI Workgroup Procedures," which
says:

         Membership in a TEI work group is normally controlled by the work
group head, though the
           TEI Council may impose particular requirements on the
membership, or may name individual
            members of the work group.

We have imposed the requirement that 10 members of the workgroup represent
repositories, and (luckily) ten plausible representatives have
volunteered.  Unless we decide otherwise, we will pass those ten names
along to the workgroup chair with our recommendation to include
them.  Unless we decide otherwise, we'll do the same with at least two,
probably three, of the six experts.  I would expect the Chair to accept
those recommendations, and I think we ought to leave the Chair a little
room for the 'normal control' of membership in the workgroup.

John