NEH workgroup (vote required)

John Unsworth jmu2m at virginia.edu
Sun Mar 3 20:44:45 EST 2002

Folks,

Here are the names of those who have nominated themselves for our
NEH-funded SGML-XML migration workgroup.  Greg Murphy, Sun Microsystems, is
missing from this list because he nominated himself and then withdrew his
nomination.  If I have missed anyone, please let me know.

The NEH workplan calls for:

        A Task Force on SGML to XML conversion of legacy TEI data, in which
        selected TEI experts (6) and editors (2) work closely with
        representatives from projects with significant TEI SGML holdings (another 10
        people) to diagnose and document the problems, methods, and tools necessary
        to design and effect a migration from SGML to XML, in TEI.

Our editors, of course, are Lou Burnard and Syd Bauman.  As you know, we've
had a number of volunteers: I have grouped those, below, into migration
experts, repository representatives, and questionable
self-nominations.  Obviously, a number of these repository representatives
could be migration experts; the reverse is not necessarily true, and the
questionable nominations don't (to my mind) fit well in either category.

I would say that our business is only to appoint the chair--we can then
forward the self-nominations to that person (perhaps with a recommendation
that a couple of the volunteers be thanked but dismissed), and we can let
the chair sort the group into the two categories, and issue invitations to
fill the remaining seats.  Unless there's dissent on this procedural
question, then Council members need to express an opinion on two points:

A.  Who should chair this group? (two people have been nominated, only one
of whom has actually volunteered, so we need to hear from Sebastian as to
his willingness to serve if appointed.  We can also nominate others, but I
would say they should come from our list of volunteers, below).

B.  Should we recommend to the chair that Zafrin and Rischer be thanked and
dismissed?

If you dissent on the procedure, please do so immediately.  Otherwise,
please vote on those two questions as soon as you can.

John

----------------------

Nominations for Chair:

Sebastian Rahtz (Tomaz Erjavec): Sebastian, you haven't actually
volunteered for this, so please indicate whether you are willing to chair
the workgroup, if appointed.

Chris Powell (Matthew Driscoll, seconded Perry Willett). Chris volunteered,
and she was suggested by John Price-Wilkin as an alternate.  I think we can
assume she would serve if appointed.

Other nominations for chair may be made, but they should be drawn from the
list of volunteers, below, I think.

[Sebastian Rahtz, if he agrees to serve on the workgroup, as chair or
otherwise]

Syun Tutiya <tutiya at chiba-u.ac.jp>
Professor of Cognitive and Information Sciences, Chiba University
Faculty of Letters, Chiba University
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0083.html

1. Chris Powell <sooty at umich.edu>
Coordinator, Humanities Text Initiative -- http://www.hti.umich.edu/
Coordinator, Electronic Text Services -- http://ets.umdl.umich.edu/
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0079.html

2. Natalia Smith <nsmith at email.unc.edu>
+ Head of Digitization Section, manages the production of DocSouth
+ 6 years of extensive experience working with TEI/SGML (after attending
CETH Summer seminar in 1995)
+ Member of the NDLF Task Force charged with creating "TEI Text Encoding
in Libraries" guidelines, endorsed by the DLF
+ I represent UNC-Chapel Hill in the TEI-C
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0108.html

3. John A. Walsh, Manager, Electronic Text Technologies
Digital Library Program / University Information Technology Services
<http://php.indiana.edu/~jawalsh/professional/cv.html>
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0084.html

5. Michael Popham  <michael.popham at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
Head of the Oxford Text Archive
http://ota.ahds.ac.uk/
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0090.html

6. dr. Frans Wiering <fransw at cs.uu.nl>
e-mail: frans.wiering at cs.uu.nl
Thesaurus musicarum italicarum: http://www.euromusicology.org
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0104.html

7. Alejandro Bia <alex.bia at ua.es>
Head of the Research and Development dept. of the Miguel de Cervantes
Digital Library at the University of Alicante.
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0111.html

8. Sally Thomas <sthomas at library.berkeley.edu>
Associate Director of the University of California History Digital Archives
http://ishi.lib.berkeley.edu/cshe/projects/history/website.html
The great majority of our TEI-Lite documents are currently located in a
password-protected working directory at:
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:2022/dynaweb/working/uchist/assembly/
login: teitest
pw: sgml
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0113.html

9. Christine Ruotolo <cjr2q at etext.lib.virginia.edu>
Associate Director, Electronic Text Center
University of Virginia
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0114.html

10. Tomaz Erjavec <Tomaz.Erjavec at ijs.si>
- the MULTEXT-East corpus; morphosyntactically tagged, 7-way parallel
- the IJS-ELAN corpus; morphosyntactically tagged, 2-way parallel
- the FIDA corpus; morphosyntactically tagged, monolingual reference
- the Concede lexicon; Bilingual MRD sample
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0112.html

Vika Zafrin <vika at wordsend.org>
Works on the technical and content-editorial side of The Decameron Web at
Brown University.
http://www.brown.edu/decameron/
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0100.html

Tobias Rischer <tobias at rischer.com>
The Critical and Synoptic Edition of James Joyce's Ulysses
(under the direction of Hans Walter Gabler)
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/tei-council/0110.html