membership

Fotis Jannidis fotis.jannidis at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Feb 25 14:34:22 EST 2002

Sebastian, John,

thanks for your answer. I think these editors do realize the different tiers of membership, but, as I already mentioned, the monetary possibilities of most of these projects
are very limited. Maybe in the future new projects will include in their applications for grants money for the TEI membership, but there seems to be a problem 1) to have the
money 2) to rechannel it into the TEI membership.
The tei-c website says: "This includes not only universities, libraries and professional societies, but also both individual projects on the one hand, and **larger consortia of
organizations on the other.**" (my emphasis) Couldn't this be the basis for granting this planned society the membership.

> Sebastian:
"> I am fairly surprised that the fee looks so high. "
I do suspect a difference in academic cultures here. It does look high for a German academic.

>  b) Without wanting to do down the TEI, the benefits of membership
>     are not very tangible. These editors can participate very
>     fully in workgroups without being members.

You are quite right. It is difficult to have an open source culture approach and sell it on the same time.

> I am fairly surprised that the fee looks so high. Can you give us
> some idea of the size of projects involved?
Based on my conversations I think between 1 and 15 people.

> The idea of the special society seems a bit sad.
Not sure I understand this. Having this society would make it easier to communicate with all TEI interests in Germany at once. Communication is normally hindered by the
barriers of the academic disciplines and this society would cut across them.

Actually, I don't understand your hesitation. It seems to me very unprobably that German members worth 5000$ will join the TEI, so the proposition has positive aspects for
the TEI and for the German projects. (But I am not sure that we can convince enough projects to join the society.)

Fotis Jannidis