Re: image databases workshop (fwd)

Paul Jones (pjones@virginia.edu)
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:11:07 -0400 (EDT)

more from the tower of babel...
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 96 10:03:52 -0400
From: tracton@radonc.unc.edu
To: support@unc.edu, Paul Evan Peters <paul@cni.org>
Subject: Re: image databases workshop

paul@cni.org (Paul Evan Peters) writes:
> I am very pleased to attach a call for statements of
> interest and experience in a workshop that CNI and OCLC
> are organizing for September 24 and 25 to promote con-
> vergence among alternative approaches to describing
> images and imagebases in networked environments.

Good Luck to them!

The medical community has been grappling with JUST medical
images (and associated information) and has finally, after 10
years, drafted a series of specifications 700 pages long and
growing (called "DICOM"). There are 2 DOZEN modalities of
medical images listed, and MOST of them are not even
displayable using the vast majority of all display programs
(like Photoshop).

Even with this voluminous "standard", each organization which
uses DICOM must provide a "conformance claim" which states how
the specification was interpreted in their implementation, so
that there is no confusion as to which products can actually
interact.

I hope the people promoting this convergence understand and
learn from the DICOM approach.

--Gregg Tracton, UNC Radiation Oncology, 919-966-7710