Re: Shorthand Steve at the Etc. Corral

Steven E. Callihan (callihan@callihan.seanet.com)
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:40:34 -0700 (PDT)

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

>>Well, I think the problem is on the other side--it is _absolute_ truths that
>>can't be proven. The only "truths" we have are _relational_ truths (note, I
>>don't think this is necessarily the same thing as "relative" truth).
>>>

> could you explain this last subtlety, Steve
>
>btw i agree with your statement about absolute truths, already in the second
>century ad skeptics like Sextus Empircus and Nagarjuna (the latter in India),
>have made it very clear that language and thought are not capable of absolute
>truth

The term "relational" I think avoids the problem of absolutizing the
relative, if you will. The connection is between the perspectivism of
Nietzsche and the synechism of C. S. Peirce. There are no isolated (or
absolute) perspectives. Every perspective exists in the form of its relation
to other perspectives, etc.

Steve C.

--- from list nietzsche@lists.village.virginia.edu ---