RE: Shorthand Steve at the Etc. Corral

Steven E. Callihan (callihan@callihan.seanet.com)
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:07:49 -0700 (PDT)

Litok wrote:

>Tom,
>I have to apologize for my hasty mail. It has not been your ever interesting,
>noteworthy views you mailed which perplexed me, but this sign in your mail ->
>_, which appears on my screen sometimes before or after one of your mailed
>words; I thought it some new Heideggerianism, and reading your answer I
>realized that you don't understand my silly problem (there is no real
>problem, I have to admit) for reading it again just now I come to the
>conclusion that you only mark words with this ->_ sign you think to be
>important, to underline them. Nevertheless thank you for your quick reply,
>I'm myself going to start to pond upon your interesting point of view.

That clears up the mystery! Actually, the use of "_" characters as a device
to mark off a word or phrase is a conventional method for indicating
emphasis in an ASCII e-mail message, although I've also seen "*" characters
used as well.

My "interesting point of view" may end up to be a case of wild speculation,
which I've chosen to express in a declarative mode, trying to be consistent
with other posts to this sub-thread and the thread from which it is a
branch, which have tended toward the assertion of bald-faced opinions about
this or that commentator on Nietzsche, etc. I thought I'd throw in a doozy.
All the same, the more I think about it, the more I think I _may_ be right!

Still, there is a genuinely interesting philosophical problem that has
surfaced in all this (stimulated by Nicholas' contingent-Being pooh-pah).
That is that if being is contingent, it can't be contingent on anything
other than being, in that what being was contingent on would itself then be
being! Therefore being can only be contingent on itself, or
"self-contingent," as I put it. Now I happen to relate this state of
self-contingency to the notion of Peircean synechism (truth as continuity)
which I think is entirely consistent with Nietzschean perspectivism, for
instance. Truth is relational, in other words. Any thoughts on this?

Best,

Shorthand Steve (a.k.a Tom Fool)

--- from list nietzsche@lists.village.virginia.edu ---