Re: Nietzsche group

John Hartmann (hartmajr@bigvax.alfred.edu)
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 19:40:54 +0000

Steve Callihan wrote:
> As to comments from other quarters, no commentary or interpretation of
> Nietzsche's work can be authoritative, just hopefully informative and
> revealing. There certainly are interpretations that I, personally, don't
> cared for, principally Danto's and Maud-Marie Clark's, both of which I felt
> distorted and purposefully misinterpreted Nietzsche's text, for reasons I
> care not to even speculate on, but that is _my_ opinion. Nobody else has to
> agree. As far as Herr Heidi is concerned, his interpretation of Nietzsche is
> also a purposeful misinterpretation on his part, although I trust he has his
> "philosophical" reasons for it.

I hope that this is not suggesting that I, ever conscious of my
mentor, am forgetting that perspectivism is central to everything N
was after, and that any of the interpretations offered (of course,
including my own) can be anything but a perspective, but an
interpretation.

But, some metaphors are better than others. Some interpretations
have more worth than others. And so I offer mine up -- as I said in
the earlier post regarding all the (French) books that I found
useful, "take this for what it's worth, and remember that you got
this post for FREE." ;)

john hartmann
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1575

John Hartmann
hartmajr@bigvax.alfred.edu

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1575
"Look, I really don't want to wax philosophic, but I will
say that if you're alive, you got to flap your arms and
legs, you got to jump around alot, you got to make a lot
of noise, because life is the very opposite of death.
And therefore, as I see it, if you're quiet, you're not
living. I mean you're just slowly drifting into death.
So you've got to be noisy, or at least your thoughts
should be noisy and colorful and lively."
-- Mel Brooks

--- from list nietzsche@lists.village.virginia.edu ---