Re: Questions

Eric Watt Forste (arkuat@pobox.com)
Fri, 08 Aug 1997 12:09:42 -0700

(In deference to other readers who may be mystified as to what
this discussion has to do with El Moustachio, our purported
topic, I'll just have to say that I'm trying to flush out some
ugly undercurrents that have in fact infested this list for a
couple of years now. I prithee patience. It might get
entertaining.)

Paul S. Rhodes writes:
> In answer to your other question, yes, in fact, I am all for the
> burning of heretics, especially if they are as dangerous to the
> healthy flourishing of soul and life as the Cathars and Albigensians
> were. They probably thought the Crusaders were doing them a favor,
> burning their evil, Satanic bodies and thereby liberating their
> souls. Gnosticism, my good Mr. Forste, is a vicious evil and
> sometimes it must be fought by any means possible. Ask the parents
> of the San Diego 39 if they would have preferred that the authorities
> had at least locked up that Manichee of all Manichees, Mr. Do
> Applewhite (or Applesauce in deference to Lambda C) before he had
> the opportunity to infect their sons and daughters with his heresies.
> I should think that a great many of them would say "Yes!"
> By the way, falsehood has no rights.

Fascinating, Captain.

And now who is it that you propose to carry out the burnings...
the Holy Father? Or are you volunteering for the job? Or were
you hoping for the initiative to be taken up by one of the
religious leaders in Iran, since your own Church seems to be
suffering from a bout of spinelessness on this issue?

Oh, wait, you're probably going to invoke the holy angel of
Democracy... it would be interesting to see a Democratic
construction of Aquinas. Actually, I'm having a great deal of
difficultly imagining such a thing, so I crave further
enlightenment as to your position.

(You've got me thinking, though, Paul... perhaps you're not as much
of a black sheep here as you seem. Perhaps you really *do* belong
here on the Nietzsche list with the rest of us violent amoral
Fingers of Shiva. You certainly seem to share Fritzi's enthusiasm
for cutting out what *you* perceive to be diseased flesh.)

--
Eric Watt Forste ++ arkuat@pobox.com ++ expectation foils perception -pcd

--- from list nietzsche@lists.village.virginia.edu ---