Re: Eternal Recurrence: keine Weltanschauung!

Steven E. Callihan (callihan@callihan.seanet.com)
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:47:56 -0700 (PDT)

Leonardo Raggo wrote:

>[...]Nietzsche is trying to interpret the
>temporal process of interpretation and its non-coincidence with "truth";
>interpretations are active while our whole metaphysics seems in many ways
>blind to this positing potential, the active form of infering. Rather,
>there's a certain passivity and suffrance built into the metaphysical
>notion of "truth." This thoroughgoing critique I think needs to be
>acknowledged before we jump in too quickly with the idea of "positivity",
>with what might amount to no more than a new variation of an old
>empiricist habit.

"Knowledge and becoming exclude one another. Consequently, "knowledge" must
be something else: there must first of all be a will to make knowable, a
kind of becoming must itself create the deception of beings." (Will to Power
517)

"..._the will to equality is the will to power_ -- the belief that something
is thus and thus (the essence of _judgment_) is the consequence of a will
that as much as possible _shall be_ equal." (Will to Power 511)

The becoming that must itself first "create the deception of beings" is will
to power. The "different" and the "same" are both a product of a primary
differentiation, or the "equating of the inequatable." Life is, itself, not
a being, but a becoming, that becoming that makes all beings possible as the
"deception of beings," or Appearance).

Steve C.

--- from list nietzsche@jefferson.village.virginia.edu ---