Re: nietz as norway/ yah, sure- youbetcha!!!

Andrew Sutherland (a.sutherland@eureka.ballarat.edu.au)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:14:58 +1000

> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:41:59 -0500 (EST)
> From: henry sholar <H_SHOLAR@marta.uncg.edu>
> Subject: nietz as norway/ yah, sure- youbetcha!!!
> To: nietzsche@jefferson.village.virginia.edu

> LR sez and worthy of repeat:
> Interestingly, most of those who are named in these high-flying
> overpassings are folks to whom Nietzsche feels some affinity, that it
> might be to Shakespeare or Goethe or the Vedantas that some would hope to
> compare Zarathustra, all of which are otherwise usually praised or treated
> with great interest. These are not the rejected but those embraced for
> comparison, the dead peers to whom Nietzsche casts his challange. He
> treats these critical favorites to the full impact of his ironic existence
> that makes his buffoonery so wonderfully comic. No hagiographics needed
> here to abjudicate some academic glass bead game that decides poetic
> priority. No matter for approval either that overthrows this pantheon in
> these extravagant gestures to which I append a citation further along in
> the same section;
> "The psychological problem in the type Zarathustra is how he that says
> No and does No to an unheard-of degree, to everything to which one has so
> far said Yes, can nevertheless be the opposite of a No-saying spirit"
>
> Say yah,
> Leonardo Raggo//\\//\\
> ******** *****########
>
> dear Leonardo,
> a fine comment. reminds me that as high schooler
> we passed "the prophet" around to mates and lovers;
> then, as collegiate come back and ask for (eternal return of) Gibran
> back and infect with Zarathustra. and we would make nietz
> our own--- thanks to kaufmann, and then grow out of
> kaufmann's nietz and take up heidegger's and kofmann's
> and nehemas' and on and on--- and as we change we see
> more of the infinite story that nietz. planted as his seed.
>
> so , whether i try to box nietz into a heidegger tale, as i do at times,
> or mr. rhodes tries his droll interventions on minutiae
> or "surfaces" and logocentric orthodoxies--
> - it is good to take the long range and slower
> view often times and see that the nietz texts we
> appreciate are alive in many ways, and it is always
> our depth that is challenged, not nietz's.
>
> thanks,
> kindest regards,
> hen

hen posed the question,

> (ps) here's a quest: nietz on "leadership"
> anyone have clues or interests?
> he certainly disdained "disciples"

Andrew answers nievely: Every individual has the right and capacity
to to be the leader, however the army (disciples) is only themselves.
To take command of on'es own situation is what it is all about.

Andrew