Re: ER as weltanschauung?

Steven E. Callihan (callihan@callihan.seanet.com)
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 18:17:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hen Sholar wrote:

>I wonder -George, Leonardo- what is the sway of the
>modern concept of "worldview" that we must (following
>Nietzsche?) recognize such a distant stance to our realities,
>make of the world a "Christian view" to be overcome, or
>to live in the excess thereof?
>
>In an authentic time such an epoch-defining self-
>consciousness, such a decadence, would not be so
>obvious and perhaps would not be.

In line with the "painting" metaphor that spurred off this and other
offshoots, I thought the following tidbit from _Human, All Too Human_,
"Assorted Opinions and Maxims," #19, might be of interest:

"_The picture of life._ -- The task of painting _the_ picture of life,
however often poets and philosophers may pose it, is nonetheless senseless:
even under the hands of the greatest of painter-thinkers all that has ever
eventuated is pictures and miniatures _out of one_ life, namely their own --
and nothing else is even possible. Something in course of becoming cannot be
reflected as a firm and lasting image, as a 'the', in something else in
course of becoming."

Steve C.

--- from list nietzsche@jefferson.village.virginia.edu ---