Re: ER as Ethical Thought

George Sherwood (steppen@lightspeed.net)
Sat, 31 May 1997 22:21:35 -0700 (PDT)

At 05:38 PM 5/31/97 -0500, you wrote:

<snip>

>Lastly, the ER hardly has anything to do with Mr. Sherwood's simplistic
>banalization, which reduces it to a mere narcissistic affectation: as if
>one could not tear up one's painting, etc, without welcoming the return
>of the painting, the act of painting and the act of tearing it up.
>There is hardly anything more threatening to the ego than the assumption
>of the ER as an ethical thought and a selective action.
>

>Lambda C

Perhaps, Lambda C, it is your interpretation of my missive that is
"simplistic banalization." One could, after all, offer quotes from other
interpreters supporting my view. But interpretations of Nietzsche are not
Nietzsche. No where did I suggest that "one could not tear up one's
painting," after all, the color _black_ is a symbol of destruction and
evil. The entire analogy is a metaphor to _One thing is needful_. The
colors represent experience and how one interprets them, how one recreates
(paints) them so they no longer are viewed with resentment. Narcissistic?
Perhaps a little selfish and egoistic would be better terms, if we throw in
a little spirit to take the edges off. After all, any painting has it own
tone, its own spirit, unless, of course it is a fake or a copy. Those who
cannot create their own painting must of necessity pay an artist to create
one, or buy a cheap copy if they are not rich enough for that. Hence, dogma
and Christianity, and we are _painted_.

George
_________
"I am ashamed to think how easily we capitulate to badges and names, to
large societies and dead institutions" ~ Emerson.

--- from list nietzsche@jefferson.village.virginia.edu ---