[sixties-l] Shirley Chisholm photos posted

From: Jo Freeman <JFRBC_at_CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:55:45 EST

I just posted some photographs I took during Shirley Chisholm's 1972 Presidenti
al campaign, along with some of her campaign buttons and a short description of
 her campaign, to my web page at
http://www.jofreeman.com/polhistory/chisholm.htm
Some of you may remember that I ran for delegate to the Democratic convention f
rom Illinois First District in order to put her name on the ballot. We stayed
occasionally in touch over the years, and in 2000 she graced the back cover of
my book A ROOM AT AT TIME: HOW WOMEN ENTERED PARTY POLITICS with an endosement.

I started working on this photoset last fall, aiming to get it up by February i
s Black History Month. Shirley's death on January 1 makes these photos all the
 more timely. Shirley was one of my favorite people, and I'm just sorry that h
er two services were held too far away (Palm Coast FL and Buffalo NY) for me to
 get to either one. I was able to go to the luncheon in her honor held at Broo
klyn College (her alma mater) last September, when the Women's Studies Center w
as renamed in her honor. She was invited of course, but said she was too ill t
o come.

Now in the works are photos taken of the 1995 International Women's Conference
in Beijing and the 2000 Beijng + 5 mini-conference in NYC. I hope to get those
 posted by March is Women's History Month.

I'm also going to post photos taken at the recent counter-inaugural demonstrati
ons in DC. There was more going on on Jan. 20 than I could be at or photograph
. I'm trying to put together a description of as many protests as I can, but i
t's something like a jigsaw puzzel. If anyone was at one of the protests, plea
se write me about what you saw. I would appreciate any information I can get.
 None of the news media captured the complexity and diversity of protests. If
future students and scholars are to know what happened, there needs to be a sou
rce other than what journalists wrote about that day.

Jo Freeman
http://www.JoFreeman.com