[sixties-l] Aid and Comfort To The Enemy (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 16:52:39 EST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:57:32 -0800
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Aid and Comfort To The Enemy

    Aid and Comfort To The Enemy

    <http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=5956>

    By Paul Davis
    FrontPageMagazine.com | February 5, 2003

    The January 18th anti-war demonstrations in Washington, San Francisco and
    other
    cities were the lead news story around the world. As we prepare for the
    possibility of
    war with Iraq, my thoughts return to an earlier war and earlier anti-war
    movement.
    I enlisted in the U.S. Navy when I was 17 in 1970 and served on an aircraft
    carrier during
    the Vietnam War. I vividly recall the media coverage of protesters burning
    the American
    Flag and calling for an immediate withdraw from Vietnam. These images were
    demoralizing to the U.S. troops and encouraging to the communists.
    The USS Kitty Hawk performed combat operations on "Yankee Station" off the
    coast of
    Vietnam in 1970 and 1971. The carrier's 90 aircraft dropped a record
    tonnage of ordnance
    on North Vietnamese and Viet Cong positions and supply routes in support of
    the U.S.
    ground troops.
    Air combat operations are fast-paced and precarious as the carrier launches and
    recovers aircraft around the clock. With vast amounts of jet fuel and
    munitions aboard,
    an accident or fire aboard a carrier can be a truly deadly affair. Although
    we put in long,
    hard and dangerous hours, we knew our constant pounding of the communists
    kept our
    soldier-brothers "in-country" alive.
    I remember when Admiral John S. McCain, the Commander in Chief of U.S.
    Forces in the
    Pacific, flew aboard the carrier. The short, gruff, cigar-munching four
    star admiral
    appeared on the warship's close circuit television and in salty language
    informed us that
    although there were thousands of people back home protesting the Vietnam
    War, he
    believed the great majority of Americans supported us. He added that the
    protesters
    were undermining our efforts and belittling our sacrifices.
    The admiral knew something about sacrifices, as his son, Navy pilot John
    McCain, the
    future senator, was at that moment a prisoner of war in Hanoi.
    "The protesters back home say make love not war," he told the warship's
    5,500 men. "I
    say if you're man enough, you can do both."
    Although we never lost a battle over company strength during our entire
    time in
    Vietnam, and there were no American combat troops (only support personnel)
    in South
    Vietnam when the country fell to the communists in 1975, a common
    misconception is
    that we were defeated militarily.
    The North Vietnamese defeated the South Vietnamese on the battlefield, not
    the U.S.
    The communists correctly estimated that the U.S. would not return combat
    troops to
    save South Vietnam.
    The U.S. military objective was never to militarily defeat the North
    Vietnamese. Instead,
    our goal was to hold the line fighting under severely limited rules of
    engagement.
    Everyone in the military, even a teenage sailor and aspiring writer from south
    Philadelphia, knew the policy was senseless and doomed to fail.
    Fighting in half measures enabled the communists to hang on despite losing
    every battle
    and enduring an incredibly heavy loss of life. They also patiently held out
    due to the
    highly publicized peace movement, which sent a clear message to the
    communists that
    the U.S. was divided on the war and that our leaders lacked the political
    will to decisively
    win the war through military means.
    According to Cartha D. DeLoach, a former deputy director of the FBI, the
    Students for a
    Democratic Society (SDS) sponsored many of the antiwar protests and
    instigated much
    of the campus violence during the Vietnam War. DeLoach wrote in his book,
    "Hoover's
    FBI: The Inside Story by Hoover's Trusted Lieutenant," that SDS made no
    bones about
    their intentions to tear the country apart.
    Deloach also writes in his book that Stanley Levison, a known member of the
    American
    Communist Party, was a member of Martin Luther King's inner circle of
    advisors. He
    wrote a number of King's speeches and DeLoach speculates that Levison's
    communist
    influence may well have persuaded King to become an antiwar activist.
    The antiwar movement only served to inspire the communists to go on
    fighting and
    killing Americans and the South Vietnamese. The visits to North Vietnam by
    actress and
    antiwar activist "Hanoi Jane" Fonda, Ramsey Clark and others only served to
    encourage
    the communists to continue to imprison, beat and starve our prisoners of war.
    The antiwar movement also inspired the poor homecoming response that many
    Vietnam
    War veterans received when they returned to "the world," which was what the
    troops
    called America during the conflict. Accusations of murdering women and
    babies were
    viciously hurled at a good many soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen. Many
    veterans
    didn't talk about the war for years, for fear of being socially ostracized.
    Retired Army Lt. General Philip B. Davidson, who served as the chief
    intelligence officer
    (J-2) for both of the U.S. military commanders in Vietnam, General
    Westmoreland and
    General Abrams, noted in his book "Vietnam at War," that the U.S. peace
    movement was
    useful to the communists.
    Davidson wrote that it was apparent to Ho Chi Minh and General Giap that
    the United
    States would not pursue the war to a military victory.
    "They discovered that the American people were extremely vulnerable to
    their dich van
    program (action among the enemy people) for in 1968 another, and increasingly
    powerful, front had been opened in the war antiwar dissent within the
    United States,"
    wrote Davidson.
    He went on to state that in 1969, presidential decisions were made
    increasingly with one
    eye on Vietnam and one eye on the antiwar movement.
    The anti-war movement of the 1960s and 70s would later see one of their own
    rise to
    become President. Bill Clinton publicly led marches against the war while a
    student at
    Oxford University in the United Kingdom. In another age, this would have been
    considered treason.
    The man who feigned an interest in the Army Reserve to avoid being drafted
    and would
    later state that he "loathed" the military (when he no longer needed the
    reserve slot to
    avoid serving in Vietnam) would go on to become the Commander-in-Chief of
    the U.S.
    Armed Forces.
     From the safety of the White House, the former anti-war protester played
    soldier and
    often committed combat troops during his administration. (I used to laugh
    when Clinton
    gave the Marine guard a snappy salute as he boarded the presidential
    helicopter).
    Although the media claim that today's protesters are a more diverse lot
    than the Vietnam
    Era protesters, it seems to me that at the core are the usual subversive
    suspects: radical
    students and communists.
    As fully documented here in FrontPageMagazine, the key organizers of the
    antiwar
    protests are a Marxist group called A.N.S.W.E.R. (Act Now To Stop War & End
    Racism).
    A.N.S.W.E.R. and other peace activists were at work as quickly as September
    12th,
    urging "restraint" and voicing their opposition to any military retaliation
    for the
    September 11th terrorist attacks. Had we listened to them, we would not
    have disrupted
    the terrorist network in Afghanistan and other countries around the world.
    Had we not
    retaliated, I'm certain that the terrorists would have rocked us with
    another horrific act of
    terrorism.
    Saddam Hussein, like the Vietnamese communists, views the peace activists
    as allies.
    The peace activists, past and present, overlook any atrocities committed by
    the likes of
    the Viet Cong, terrorists and tin pot dictators. They are equally adept in
    justifying any
    enemy action by laying the blame squarely back on America. "My country; always
    wrong" could be the self-loathing, anti-American answer to "My country;
    right or
    wrong."
    The lessons of Vietnam enabled our future military engagements in the Gulf
    War and
    Afghanistan to be much more successful. If we do go to war with Iraq,
    hopefully we'll
    do so with a full commitment to win militarily, as we did in Afghanistan.
    If we commit to war, our showing in Iraq will illustrate once again just
    how formidable a
    foe a united America can be. The direct and indirect state sponsors of
    terrorism will
    surely get the message.
    The buzzing of peace activists will not deter us in this war, I believe,
    because they
    represent a fringe minority view. They are out of touch with most Americans
    who fully
    support the war on terrorism and will come to support military action
    against Iraq should
    we go there.
    The demonstrators have, like the Vietnam War protestors, given aid and
    comfort to
    Saddam Hussein and the terrorists. While the U.S. and U.K. military build
    up near Iraq is
    sending one very clear message lose the weapons of mass destruction or
    face this
    formidable military force the demonstrators are sending an equally clear
    (to them)
    message that we lack the political strength and will to carry through with
    our military
    threat.
    The great irony of the anti-war movement is they would surely not be
    tolerated in the
    very countries they try to protect. Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, North Korea
    and China
    would simply crack them over the head or shoot them the minute they hit the
    street in
    protest.
    The peace activists have the freedom and right to protest against U.S.
    military action
    precisely because the U.S. military they so hate has successfully fought
    tyrants and evil
    empires throughout our history.
    The fight, I would like to remind the peace activists, was not without cost.

    ..