[sixties-l] Gotta Serve Somebody (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 22:34:57 EST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:01:40 -0800
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Gotta Serve Somebody

    Gotta Serve Somebody

    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/24/weekinreview/24EFFR.html

    November 24, 2002
    By ERIC EFFRON

    SOME Bob Dylan aficionados still haven't gotten over their folk hero's electric
    turn back in 1965. But for others, the age of Dylan innocence ended in 1976,
    when Jimmy Carter, perhaps trying to signal the ascension of a new generation,
    quoted ^× misquoted actually ^× from Mr. Dylan's "It's Alright Ma" in his speech
    accepting the Democratic nomination for president. Since then, many politicians
    have been as comfortable wrapping themselves in Mr. Dylan as they have been
    wrapping themselves in God.

    For Mr. Dylan, at least, the warm feelings have never been mutual. When he
    mentions politicians in his songs, they tend to be hypocrites ("Only a Pawn in
    Their Game") or crooked ("You Gotta Serve Somebody") or drunk ("I Want You").
    Still, there's something about Mr. Dylan's poetry ^× the baffling ambiguities
    perhaps, or simply the sheer volume of it ^× that some politicians find
    irresistible, whether they're talking about free trade or Supreme Court
    nominees. Most recently, Al Gore, in an interview with The New York Times last
    week, was moved not only to quote Mr. Dylan's words, as he has done many times,
    but to sing them. Mr. Gore's memory of the lyrics was accurate, which is more
    than you can say about many of the citations below.

    America's Future

    My vision of this nation and its future has been deepened and matured
    during the
    19 months that I campaigned among you for president. I've never had more faith
    in America than I do today. We have an America that in Bob Dylan's phrase is
    "busy being born, not busy dying." ("It's Alright Ma") Jimmy Carter, in his
    acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention in 1976.

    A Railroad Dispute

    I am not a lawyer. But as in Bob Dylan's song line, "You don't have to be a
    weatherman to tell which way the wind blows," similarly in this case, one does
    not need to be a lawyer to tell which way the political wind was blowing at the
    presidentially appointed Special Board. It certainly was not blowing on behalf
    of the railroad workers. ("Subterranean Homesick Blues") --Senator J. James
    Exon, Democrat of Nebraska, addressing the Senate in 1991 about the terms of a
    railroad strike settlement.

    Clarence Thomas Nomination

    She's not an October surprise. The times they are a'changin' and the boys here
    don't get it on this issue. They don't really understand what sexual harassment
    is, and it's not important to them. ("The Times They Are A'Changin' ")
    Representative Patricia Schroeder, Democrat of Colorado, in October 1991,
    referring to the Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas's alleged harassment of
    Anita Hill.

    Enterprise Zones

    I've been thinking lately . . . of a song that was the anthem of a generation
    when I was in college back a ways, Bob Dylan's old song, which had the line:
    "Come senators and congressmen, please hear the call; don't stand in the
    doorway, don't block up the hall." I think we all know that the times are
    a'changin' and that it's critically important that we not stand in the doorway.
    ("The Times They Are A'Changin' ") Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, Democrat of
    Connecticut, speaking on the Senate floor in June 1992 during a debate on urban
    renewal after the Los Angeles riots.

    North American Free Trade Agreement

    We have heard a lot of economists quoted on the floor today. I would like to
    quote another counselor. His name was Bob Dylan. He wrote 30 years ago, "You
    better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone." Our economic times are
    truly
    changing. Our future is in global competition. ("The Times They Are A'Changin'
    ") --Senator Richard J. Durbin, Democrat of Illinois, in November 1993
    explaining his support for the North American Free Trade Agreement.

    Japanese Trade

    Three cheers for the White House, who has finally slapped Japan with a big-time
    100 percent tariff on luxury automobiles. And guess what? Acura is crying,
    Infiniti is now finite, Toyota is toasted, Nissan is nixed, Mazda is maxed,
    Mitsubishi is busted and Lexus is nauseous. But in the words of Bob Dylan, how
    does it feel, Japan? .. . And one thing, Japan, think of this: when you hold
    your own trade program to your nosey, it doesn't smell too rosy. In the
    words of
    Bob Dylan, how does it feel? ("Like a Rolling Stone") --Representative James A.
    Traficant Jr., Democrat of Ohio, addressing the House in May 1995.

    The Clinton Impeachment

    What do I have to do to prevent from going through all these things twice?
    Except for me it's thrice. ("Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues
    Again") Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York, in January 1999 referring to
    his final two votes as a member of the House and its Judiciary Committee, as he
    faced the prospect of taking up the matter as a senator.

    Health Care in Vermont

    But just as Bob Dylan said, "those who are not busy being born are busy dying."
    It is not enough for us to spend this legislative session rehabilitating and
    retooling past legislative achievements. We must have an achievement to
    call our
    own. I propose that our achievement . . . is to design and implement a better
    system of health care in Vermont. ("It's Alright Ma") --Gov. Howard Dean of
    Vermont, in his inaugural address in January 2000.

    The Jeffords Defection

    As Bob Dylan was fond of saying, "don't speak too quickly, the wheel is still
    spinning." ("The Times They Are A'Changin' ") Senator Trent Lott, Republican of
    Mississippi, answering a reporter's question in June 2001 about the
    inevitability of his loss of power as Senate majority leader after the
    defection
    of Senator James Jeffords of Vermont.

    Political Change

    It is a sad fact of history that the proponents of change eventually become the
    obstacles of change. Senator Wellstone, thank you for your passion and your
    service. But you were right in '90. Two terms is enough. The time has come to
    go. Bob Dylan is singing your song: (singing) "Come senators, Congressmen,
    please heed the call; don't stand in the doorway, don't block up the hall. For
    he who gets hurt will be he who has stalled. There's a battle outside and it's
    raging. It'll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls. For the times they
    are a'changin'." ("The Times They Are A'Changin' ") Senator-elect Norm Coleman
    in his acceptance speech at the Minnesota State Republican Convention in June
    2002, directing his remarks to his opponent, --Senator Paul Wellstone.

    Age and Rejuvenation

    I went to see Bob Dylan in Madison Square Garden last week and he gave a
    terrific show and I was reminded of one of his lyrics that I think answers your
    question. "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." ("My Back
    Pages") --Al Gore, in response to a question last week about whether he
    represents new blood in the Democratic Party.