Re: [sixties-l] The anti-war 60s all over again? (fwd)

From: Sorrento95@AOL.COM
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 22:29:36 EST

    In a message dated 11/24/2002 5:54:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu writes:

    [Quoting the article by Alexander Cockburn]

    > When it comes to the big themes of love and war
    > and history, nothing concentrates the mind like a
    > few songs by Merle, whose 1969 pro-war country
    > anthem "Okie from Muskogee" lambasted the
    > dope-smoking hippie peaceniks

    Now, let's take a good look at what the author calls Merle Haggard's "pro-war" ballad really says:

    OKIE FROM MUSKOGEE

    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee;
    We don't take our trips on LSD
    We don't burn our draft cards down on Main Street;
    We like livin' right, and bein' free.

    I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,
    A place where even squares can have a ball
    We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse,
    And white lightnin's still the biggest thrill of all

    We don't make a party out of lovin';
    We like holdin' hands and pitchin' woo;
    We don't let our hair grow long and shaggy,
    Like the hippies out in San Francisco do.

    And I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,
    A place where even squares can have a ball.
    We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse,
    And white lightnin's still the biggest thrill of all.

    Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear;
    Beads and Roman sandals won't be seen.
    Football's still the roughest thing on campus,
    And the kids here still respect the college dean.

    We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse,
    In Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA.

                    -- end of song --

    There's only one line which could possibly be called
    "pro-war." That's the one about burning draft cards
    down on Main Street.

    The rest of the song is a denunciation of what I would
    call CULTURAL radicalism. Merle doesn't like pot-smokin,
    long-haired, acid-brained, unpatriotic, beads'n'sandle-
    wearin HIPPIES.

    Get out your history books some time and take a look at
    what the wobblies wore to their public demonstrations.
    They were in SUITS with TIES. They wanted to look like
    NORMAL people. The cultural radicals of the 60s and
    their freaky ring-nosed purple-haired progeny of the
    present ought to take a lesson from this.

    Check out this photo of Joe Hill supporters. Do they look
    like a bunch of freaks?

    http://www.pbs.org/joehill/faces/index.html

     -- Michael Wright
        Norman, Oklahoma