Re: [sixties-l] Todd Gitlin Does the Boss Man's Work

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 18:41:45 EST

    I'm not surprised that Marty Jezer decides that the involvement of Gitlin or anyone else in the anti-war movement is not to be questioned. A
    couple of years back he joined Gitlin in criticizing the 60s anti-war movement for not having had the sense to endorse Humphrey for president in
    1968, not being able to understand, apparently, that had the movement's consciousness been at that low level, Johnson would not have withdrawn his
    candidacy in the first place. His defense of Gitlin on this and on other occasions qualifies him for the title of GitlinLite, a watery low
    calorie brew that makes him appear to be one of the boys even as his palms are sweating.

    In a more serious vein, Gitlin has a history of attacking critics of Israel's role or that of it's lobby on issues concerning Iraq as being
    anti-Semitic, an allegation which these days competes with patriotism as being the first refuge of scoundrels. Israeli officials and its top
    lobby groups as well as those deep within the decision making sectors of the administration such as Wolfowitz, Perle and Feith, are in the
    forefront of those beating the drums for war and redrawing the map of the Middle East with Israel assigned a strategic role. I assume Gitlin's
    role in the movement will be to provide protective cover for those SOB's and accuse anyone who raises this issue of being an anti-Semite.

    Jeff Blankfort