Re: [sixties-l] Abbie Hoffman on the City Payroll?

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 11:28:40 EST

    Abbie worked with an anti-poverty group called the East Side Service Organization (ESSO). It was formed to provide social services for the very young hippie dropouts then descending upon the Lower East Side (East Village). Some of the people, working with youth issues were impressed by Abbie's organizing ability, and Abbie, himself, knew how to cultivate the press.

    Read my book Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel pp 84, 111 and the chapters on the Lower East Side for context.

    Marty Jezer

    Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words
    Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel
    Rachel Carson: Author, Biologist
    The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960

    Visit my web site http://www.sover.net/~mjez
    Subscribe to my Friday commentary (by reply e-mail). It's free!