[sixties-l] Riding with the Black Panther F.U.G.I.T.I.V.E.S. (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 14:56:51 EDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:02:24 -0700
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Riding with the Black Panther F.U.G.I.T.I.V.E.S.

    Riding with the Black Panther F.U.G.I.T.I.V.E.S.

    <http://www.sfbayview.com/101602/fugitives101602.shtml>

    by JR
    10/16/02

    Late one night me and the Black Panther
    F.U.G.I.T.I.V.E.S. hooked up to ride out to 88.5
    KPOO FM, a Black owned and run radio station in
    Frisco to do one of the many interviews that they
    had scheduled for the week to promote their new
    debut album "All of Us."

    If you don't live in Oakland or go to the Town
    frequently, then you may not have seen the billboards that span from North
    to West to
    East publicizing the new release. The effectiveness of this promotional
    endeavor
    reminded me of what my grandmother always says about how in the '60s and
    early '70s
    the Black Panther Party, the political organization, publicized their
    10-Point Platform, their
    Free Breakfast Program, police patrols, and other survival programs.

    They had the people with them and they put
    Oakland on the map, again, in a major way that is
    still bearing fruit. The revolutionary spirit was high,
    and because of that, the people seemed to be
    more tuned into what was going on.
    Recently it has felt like Oakland is returning to that
    spirit. You can see it beginning to catch on more than it has since the
    '80s and early '90s
    when commercial "system" music began to fade a little and people like
    Public Enemy,
    2Pac, X Clan and Poor Righteous Teachers came to power.
    Way before Marcus Garvey and later on Father Divine were doing work with
    our people
    in West Oakland, Oakland has always been a Black base for revolutionary
    thoughts and
    actions. It was the birthplace of the Black Panther Party, founded on Oct.
    15, 1966, by
    Huey P. Newton and Bobby Seale.
    Oakland is also home to the Coup, a revolutionary rap group that has been
    putting it
    down for a while, and A.E.M. s/c Askari X, another legendary political
    rapper, so it was
    no surprise that Oakland breeds the type of talent that I heard on the "All
    of Us" album.
    Knocking beats under lyrical jewels, spit in an Oakland way, you know that
    them boys
    created a masterpiece that will stand the test of time.
    We got to the radio station a little early for their interview on Lover's
    Lounge, which
    comes on at midnight, Tuesday night/Wednesday morning to 3 a.m. with LBD
    aka the
    Lucrative Black Demographic aka The Love Back Doctor. This Bay View
    interview is the
    fruit of us using our time productively, taking pictures, doing the Bay
    View newspaper
    interview right before they stepped in front of the radio mics. This is the
    type of planning
    and organization that it takes to make big thangs happen. Ask any group of
    Black
    Panthers.
    So for Black Panther History Month, we are going to continue to hit you
    with historical
    and current events that the Black Panther Party and their children have
    left for us to use
    to liberate ourselves. Now we out to the Black Panther F.U.G.I.T.I.V.E.S. ...
    How did the F.U.G.I.T.I.V.E.S. form?
    Jug: Me and Bones hooked up in '94. Since then we have been doing our thang.
    Bones: We banged out a couple of singles and that's what led us to Mil
    (Jamiel). We
    went to his studio to record 'em.
                      Jug: Even though he wasn't really feeling us ^Å
    Bones: He did like the creativity though, and that it was something from
    Oakland that
    didn't have that normal rugged sound to it. After that Mil took us under
    his wing, and
    that's how the F.U.G.I.T.I.V.E.S. was formed. And F.U.G.I.T.I.V.E.S. is an
    acronym that
    stands for everything our lyrics portray, The Future Under the Guidance of
    True
    Individuals Who Visualize Every Struggle. If you think of the
    F.U.G.I.T.V.E.S., then you
    think of a criminal running from the law. And the acronym provides us an
    avenue to run
    away from the expected norm for young Black Hip Hop artists who are known or
    criticized for their negative portrayal of urban life.
    Jamiel: Not only were we trying to run away from what everybody expected
    from the
    rap game, or Hip Hop artists in general, but we wanted to make it clear to
    not only white
    Amerikkka, but Black Amerikkka, that we represent a lost art of strong
    Black men.
    What does the album sound like?
    Jug: The album is bangin'. It's not the norm, it's got its own original
    flavor. It's got a little bit
    of "All of Us" - that's the title of the album. We got three different
    perspectives to go off
    of. And the good thing about it, we were all already on a positive note, me
    and Bones,
    before we hooked up with Mil.
    Jamiel: Piggybacking off of the fact that it's three different perspectives
    from the three
    different walks of life, instead of the gangsta, the pimp and the baller,
    we offer the
    freedom fighter, the demonstrator and the liberator.
    Bones: My take on the whole album is that it is a collage of different
    sounds from the
    old-school to the new, because we got old school funk to the urban Hip Hop
    sound, and
    for those that can swallow it, a 1967 Motown classic Elaine Brown 2003
    remix of "Seize
    the Time." So it's got a little mixture of everything.
    Why did you choose to identify yourself with the Black Panther Party?
    Jug: A lot of people won't take the chance. A lot of people are going to
    want something
    up front.
    Jamiel: I know in particular someone who was offered the opportunity to be
    put on.
    Jug: That's the good thing about having somebody like Mil in your corner.
    He came at us
    and let us know the rules and possibilities of succeeding and not
    succeeding. It's a
    chance. You gotta take a chance in everything that you do in life,
    especially dealing with
    a powerful name like the Black Panthers.
    Bones: I think really how we affiliate the hardest is that the Panthers
    stood for something
    positive, and in our lyrics, we promote positivity. So it's only natural
    that the Panthers
    would want us to represent their label.
    Jug: A lot of people don't want to affiliate themselves with positive stuff ^Å
    Bones: ^Å for fear that it won't sell.
    Jug: All the stuff that we are doing, we are doing for free.
    How did you hook up with Black Panther Records?
    Jamiel: David (Hilliard) always knew of myself and my father but didn't
    know all of my
    musical experience and talent. So after several meetings between Dorian,
    David's son,
    David and I, we decided to make my group the lead effort in a new business
    based on
    the Black Panther Party legacy and pipelined into this business that we
    call rap.
    Email JR at fire@sfbayview.com.