[sixties-l] Ira Einhorn's long, strange trip (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 23:02:06 EDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:53:43 -0700
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Ira Einhorn's long, strange trip

    Ira Einhorn's long, strange trip

    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2002/08/14/einhorn/print.html

    After two decades on the run from a horrific murder, the counterculture
    icon is home and headed for trial. But in France, he's still a human rights
    hero.

    By Neil Gordon

    Aug. 14, 2002 -- The man whom Philadelphia loves to hate greets me with a
    bear hug each time I make the trip to State Correctional Facility in
    Houtzdale, Pa., his home since his extradition from France last year to
    face a 25-year-old murder charge. After the months I've spent digesting the
    enormous literature devoted to him, it's something of a surprise to find
    that the baby-boom Hannibal Lecter is a nervous person of 61, some 6 feet
    tall with a full head of white hair, trim in his orange prison-issue
    jumpsuit, attentive and anxious to please. But any doubt that this is Ira
    Einhorn, the famous '60s icon and infamous international fugitive, is put
    to rest immediately by the pink scar still visible above his collar, a
    reminder of his last night in France, when he cut his throat in front of
    reporters. A chipped front tooth gives him his crooked smile, familiar from
    pictures. His eyes, which contain a nearly manic intensity in their
    shocking blue, are very hard to meet.

    Part of their intensity is his well-known charisma: Einhorn is a famous
    leader of men and a seducer of women, casually laying claim to thousands of
    lovers, two or three a week for 20 years until meeting Annika Flodin, whom
    he would marry in 1987. Another part is that Einhorn, who convincingly
    claims to read a book a day, is amazingly intelligent, and he has few other
    visitors. Today he wants to talk about politics, physics, Buddhism, the
    economy, terrorism, ecology. He wants to tell me about Houellebecq, the
    French novelist du jour; about Jennifer Egan's new novel; about Hardt and
    Negri's popular left-wing history, "Empire," and Naomi Klein's notoriously
    dense "No Logo" -- unlike most American progressives, he's read and
    understood both.

    The last thing he wants to discuss is the reason he's in jail today, but
    when he does address it, it's to deny absolutely, entirely, having killed
    Holly Maddux in 1977, some two years before he jumped bail and disappeared
    into a fugitive life that only ended last summer. "There's no doubt that I
    ought to be executed for what I think," he tells me, leaning across the
    table where we sit in the clean, well-appointed prison visiting room, his
    blue eyes holding mine hostage. "But not for what I did."

    Well, maybe. You won't find many journalists who will agree: The coverage
    of Einhorn, both locally and nationally, has almost uniformly depicted him
    as at best as manipulative, at worst malign, and always guilty. All are
    plausible conclusions, given the evidence. Two separate Philadelphia juries
    have found him so, the first in Einhorn's 1993 murder trial, held in
    absentia while he was a fugitive, the second in a civil trial which in 1999
    awarded the victim's family just shy of $1 billion in damages. In
    Philadelphia, hating Einhorn is a kind of blood sport. When in June 2000
    the Philadelphia Daily News erected a billboard of Einhorn and invited
    readers to bring their rotten tomatoes to throw at it, the newspaper found
    takers. And when the Daily News printed handy fill-out-and-mail forms by
    which readers could send messages to Einhorn welcoming him home at the time
    of his extradition, some 300 took advantage of the opportunity, many
    offering shockingly obscene predictions of what awaited him in prison showers.

    And there lies the central peculiarity of the Einhorn prosecution: Its very
    vigor, both in the press and in District Attorney Lynne Abraham's office,
    very nearly set him free. His extradition pitted two equally passionate
    communities against each other, each fueled by identical outrage: one a
    moral certainty of his guilt, the other a moral horror at legal tactics the
    Commonwealth of Pennsylvania employed to bring him home. The latter group
    unites powerful, if unexpected, members: prominent Philadelphia lawyers and
    a community of French lawyers, activists, and members of parliament who
    strenuously opposed Einhorn's extradition from France, forcing it to be
    ordered by then-Prime Minister Lionel Jospin himself, and for whom Ira
    Einhorn has the status of a human rights hero on the level of Mumia
    Abu-Jamal, who recently was awarded honorary citizenship of Paris. And now
    that he is back at home, Einhorn's murder trial next month will put these
    passions on stage in a way that threatens to overshadow the death of Holly
    Maddux, and opens the possibility that the long, strange trip of Ira
    Einhorn is not yet over.

    If you lived in Philadelphia in the '60s, you know who Einhorn was.
    Harbinger of the new age, ambassador of acid, Earth Day organizer,
    environmental activist, Free University founder and professor, Einhorn was
    "indisputably Philadelphia's head hippie," as the Village Voice put it,
    "its number one freak." He was at home in the hot springs at California's
    proto-New Age Esalen Institute and in radical chic circles on the East
    Coast. It's hard fully to appreciate his influence from today's
    perspective. Newspaper photographs show him in constant motion: addressing
    a sea of people on Earth Day, arguing passionately with police, clowning
    with Yippie leader Jerry Rubin, his peace-loving long beard and gap-toothed
    smile the picture of the age. That doesn't quite do him justice. Having
    been a stellar, nearly legendary student at the University of Pennsylvania,
    he also had currency in the intellectual circles of the day, and in the
    corporate world, where he was much prized as a "far watcher" of
    technological trends. In 1977 he held a fellowship at Harvard's Kennedy
    School of Government.

    The event that would transform Ira Einhorn went nearly unnoticed. When
    Holly Maddux, his delicately beautiful girlfriend of five years,
    disappeared in the fall of 1977, the transient college-based community
    around her and Einhorn paid little attention. He had been the important
    member of that couple, in any case, and his beautiful girlfriends were
    virtually interchangeable. When she failed to reappear, however, a closer
    scrutiny came Einhorn's way. Slowly, during 1978, a private investigator
    hired by the Maddux family looked at Einhorn's life, and as he looked,
    evidence came together like a charm. A downstairs neighbor told of liquid
    leaking from Einhorn's apartment into their kitchen, a dark liquid with a
    terrible smell of putrefaction, and of hearing a "blood-curdling" scream
    and "several sharp thuds" around about the time of Holly's disappearance.
    Presented, finally, to the police, this and other evidence won a search
    warrant on Ira Einhorn's apartment. It was served on March 29, 1978, and
    police found Holly Maddux's battered and partially mummified body in a
    trunk in the bedroom closet, packed in Styrofoam, air fresheners and
    newspapers.

    Here now was an alternate narrative about Ira Einhorn, and it very quickly
    took hold, a narrative finally canonized by Stephen Levy, whose 1988 study
    "The Unicorn's Secret: Murder in the Age of Aquarius," drew on access to
    Einhorn's diaries to conclude that Holly's death was the final act in his
    established pattern of violent abuse of girlfriends. Einhorn's status as a
    countercultural hero faded quickly: His publications were few; his activism
    grandstanding; his expertise followed a path steadily away from even the
    countercultural mainstream toward the far out -- the paranormal, Uri
    Geller, Andre Puharich and the community of CIA mind-control conspiracy
    theorists, still very active today. Einhorn's claim that Holly's death
    stemmed from this activism -- he insists to this day that Holly Maddux was
    killed by an intelligence agency, and her body planted in his bedroom, to
    silence his growing knowledge of the CIA's use of the paranormal in
    military research -- received little credence. And his generous humanism --
    Einhorn was consistently described by the many character witnesses at his
    bail hearing as a "man of love" -- is mentioned much less than his
    priapism, his enormous sexual practice.

    And any doubt as to Einhorn's guilt was resolved for most Philadelphians by
    another event. With his trial scheduled for the early spring of 1981,
    Einhorn nearly effortlessly skipped the bail provided by his friend and
    supporter Barbara Bronfman and disappeared into Europe.

    In 1993, 12 years after Einhorn's flight, Philadelphia D.A. Lynne Abraham
    decided to bring him to trial in his absence, a rare legal procedure and
    the only in-absentia murder trial ever conducted in Philadelphia. Einhorn
    was represented by Norris Gelman, his lawyer at the time of his flight, who
    was obliged by the court to conduct the defense at his own expense. During
    a week in court, the leaking liquid, the smell of putrefaction, the scream,
    and other strong circumstantial evidence was put on trial. Gelman was able
    to demonstrate that the forensic evidence on which the prosecution hung its
    case was inconclusive; the prosecution was unable to prove that the
    putrefying liquid contained human protein, and therefore it was possible,
    at least in theory, that Holly's body was planted in Einhorn's closet. The
    jury nevertheless took only two hours to convict him of first degree murder
    and sentence him to life imprisonment. His flight from justice made their
    decision that much easier.

    On the morning of June 13, 1997, acting on information compiled by dogged
    Philadelphia Police investigator Rich Debenedetto, French police stormed a
    converted millhouse outside Champagne Mouton, a tiny village in a rolling
    portion of the French countryside next to Cognac. Naked in his bed was Mr.
    Eugene Mallon, a resident American writer who lived quietly with his
    beautiful Swedish wife. It is not hard to imagine the scene: the kind
    summer air through the window, the early morning still, and Mr. Mallon's
    rude awakening to arrest as Ira Einhorn.

    At 4 o'clock in the morning, in Philadelphia, Norris Gelman was awakened by
    the telephone. "I got a call from Annika," he recalls. "I remember it well.
    She said, 'They stormed the house like stormtroopers!' And I said, 'Who are
    you?' I'd never heard of her and I had no idea who she was. I said, 'Who
    was taken away?' She says, 'Ira Einhorn.'"

    Gelman is a rotund man with a youthful face and a full head of curly hair.
    Educated at University of Pennsylvania and versed in left-wing intellectual
    terms, he runs a practice that includes mobsters and murderers, the
    appealing mix of high principles and low crimes that defines criminal
    lawyers. It's a mixture that everywhere informs Gelman's persona, such as
    his frequent conversational reference to his mother and his taste for the
    races. Pictures of the horses he owns, as well as a wealth of other track
    memorabilia, some verging on kitsch, fill his office. When he remembers
    Einhorn back in the day, it is with admiration, as for a free-thinking,
    brilliant professor. Many in the Einhorn camp share this admiration, in
    apparent disregard of the enormous evidence that this charismatic,
    compelling man may have committed a horrific murder.

    In a day or two, Gelman called Annika Flodin -- who prefers to be addressed
    as Annika Einhorn -- back, and the news he had for her was surprising. "I
    told her, 'You tell Ira we're going to fight like hell. We got a case here
    and Ira's not coming back so fast."

    It was the in-absentia conviction won by Lynne Abraham in 1993 that,
    ironically, protected Einhorn under French Law. Gelman quickly realized
    that France would not return Einhorn; the French, like all European
    governments except Spain, require an in-absentia conviction to be retried
    when the prisoner is captured, whereas Pennsylvania law allowed Einhorn to
    be sentenced, in absentia, to life without recourse to a new trial.

    An in-absentia trial is the "mark of the totalitarian government," Gelman
    says. "To my mind it was a blatant crushing of all of his rights.
    Everything rang hollow. The defendant is presumed innocent. Well, of
    course, the defendant isn't there, he ran away. Proof beyond a reasonable
    doubt? Well, proof is, he ran away. It eviscerated the right to a fair and
    impartial trial." Working with Gelman and Theodore Simon, a prominent
    Philadelphia lawyer with significant foreign experience, Annika Einhorn
    retained two French lawyers: Dominique Tricaud, a Parisian, with Dominique
    Delthil acting as local counsel in Bordeaux, where Einhorn had by now been
    jailed some 100 miles from his house in Champagne Mouton.

    The two Dominiques, as they came to be known, had other roles that
    qualified them for the case. Tricaud is Paris head of Helsinki Watch, the
    international human rights organization. And Delthil heads the Bordeaux
    office of the influential organization founded in 1898 at the time of the
    Dreyfus trial, the League of Human Rights.

    In six months' time, Pennsylvanians witnessed the unbelievable sight of Ira
    Einhorn leaving prison in Bordeaux into the arms of his waiting wife, his
    extradition from France having been refused on the grounds that
    Pennsylvania's in-absentia conviction, with no chance of a new trial,
    violated French law requiring a new trial after the capture of the prisoner.

    Just six days later, a new law passed in Pennsylvania. Under the law, any
    American fugitive caught in a country where extradition is denied on
    account of a previous in-absentia conviction may, when returned to the
    United States, be guaranteed a new trial. And this law was going, it
    seemed, to be applied retroactively to Einhorn. The Einhorn Law, like the
    in-absentia trial, had an unintended consequence in France. What had been,
    until then, a question of criminal law, became a human rights cause.

    On the way from the Champs Elysées to Xavier de Roux's offices in the
    enormous international firm Conseil Generale de Charente-Maritime, just
    next to the Seine on the Right Bank, you pass a huge statue of Charles de
    Gaulle, inscribed with the quote:

    "There is a pact, twenty centuries old, between the greatness of France and
    the liberty of the world."

    It's an astonishing statement to read, here, right next to the Avenues FDR
    and General Eisenhower, a couple of the Americans without whom Paris might
    well be a provincial capital of Greater Nazi Germany today. It speaks
    volumes about the French, not all of it good. One thing it fairly reflects,
    however, is the pride the French take at their jurisprudence -- easily as
    much as they do in their wine.

    Xavier de Roux is a deeply conservative politician who has served both as
    mayor of his provincial town and as a member in the French Parliament, a
    lawyer of enormous power. De Roux is a white-haired man, perhaps 60, with
    the attitude of nearly self-effacing politeness that, in France, signifies
    great authority. He sits at his ease in a corner office over the Seine,
    some of the most valuable office space in the world, describing why he lent
    his support to a left-wing community gathering around Einhorn. "As a
    lawyer, I believe in the presumption of innocence," he explains. "And not
    only in a theoretical way, because, after having spoken to Einhorn ... the
    horrible crime of which he's accused does not seem to coincide with his
    personality. I say this so strongly because I have real difficulty -- I
    tell you this quite frankly -- in imagining Monseiur Einhorn in the skin of
    a murderer. Anything can happen. I don't pretend to know the truth. But a
    priori -- and here we are in the presumption of innocence -- I believe him
    to be innocent."

    Pennsylvania's Einhorn Law, as it came to be known, raised new questions
    for de Roux. "[It] was clearly made not for a general case," he explains,
    "but clearly in order to obtain the extradition of Ira Einhorn. For any
    jurist in a legally constituted country, to pass a law for a specific
    interest and a specific case is not, let's face it, a very good way to pass
    laws. And so there were quite a few French lawyers who said, 'Well, what's
    going on here?'"

    It was a question that particularly bothered Dominique Delthil, whose
    Bordeaux office wall displays a photograph of Einhorn recoiling in fright
    while Delthil, nearly animal with rage, defends him from the approach of an
    American journalist. Now, he speaks with high indignation. "To insist, at
    any price, on creating a special law, when the law by its principals must
    be general! In legal terms, it is absolutely scandalous! I understand how
    the family feels, but when the state lets itself be manipulated in this way
    by private interest to create such scandalous laws, it shocked me. I still
    can't get over it. I never would have thought that this could have existed
    in a democratic country."

    When, therefore, the Bordeaux court met again in February of 1998 to
    consider the extradition anew in the light of the Einhorn Law, there were
    no great worries in the Einhorn camp. As Ted Simon advised them from
    Philadelphia, the law was transparently unconstitutional, and could likely
    be overturned in the state Supreme Court, thereby voiding the terms of the
    extradition agreement. Nor was Simon alone in his views.

    "In this country there are three branches in our government: There's the
    legislative, the judicial and the executive. Now, the legislative branch
    has absolutely no power, under any circumstances, to pass a law that says
    any defendant is entitled to a new trial." F. Emmett Fitzpatrick, a former
    Philadelphia district attorney, patiently describes the principle of
    separation of powers, all the while giving the distinct impression that
    patience is not his strong suit. "Whether a defendant is entitled to a new
    trial or not depends solely on the judicial branch ... Now what happened
    here was, apparently the prosecution went to the Legislature and said, 'We
    want a law enacted that says if we try someone in absentia, for reasons
    that they never really set forth, that that person can ask for a new
    trial.' And so there was legislation passed that said that." (Last winter,
    the Pennsylvania state Supreme Court declined to hear the issue of the
    Einhorn Law. While pretrial motions by Einhorn's public defense lawyers,
    filed this month, called for the trial to be halted on the grounds of the
    Einhorn Law's unconstitutionality, it is still far from certain who may
    have standing to bring this issue back to the Supreme Court.)

    But whereas the Bordeaux court had been clearly willing to allow Einhorn to
    go free based on the in-absentia conviction, now it hesitated. To judge the
    constitutionality of an American law in France seemed an entirely different
    matter, one to be made, in France, by the executive branch, not the
    judicial. Unwilling, ultimately, to question internal American
    constitutional issues, the Bordeaux judges lifted their ban on the
    extradition, allowing it to enter the appeals process.

    It was now that Annika Einhorn got to work.

    Visiting the Einhorns' countryside house some 200 miles southeast of Paris
    in the rolling hills next to Cognac is like walking into the world of
    Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley, an American murderer who lives in
    bourgeois splendor just outside of Paris.

    On one level, everything is normal. Annika Einhorn is a poised, pretty
    woman with long red hair, living alone with a black dog, Frieda, to whom
    she speaks in high pitched Swedish, running her house and caring for its
    grounds with quiet confidence. Wherever you go with her in the minuscule
    village of Champagne Mouton, townsfolk inquire after Monsieur Einhorn and
    express outrage at his treatment, and in their partisanship you feel their
    attachment to Mrs. Einhorn as much as their concern with her husband. Like
    her husband's, her frame of reference covers the familiar ground of an
    ecologically conscious, politically aware, left-wing European intellectual,
    although in Annika's case there is also the therapeutic and
    Buddhist-inspired vocabulary of the consciousness movement.

    But on another level, as in Highsmith's chilling world, there is something
    slightly sinister. The fact is that some 15 years ago this sensible,
    competent, charming woman stepped entirely out of the path of her life:
    abandoned not just her family and her past but her very identity to join
    Einhorn in a dangerous and difficult life underground, and she did this in
    the full knowledge that he was on the run from charges of murdering his
    girlfriend. Nothing visible in the house spoke of childhood or family, and
    an aura of rootlesness, of disconnection permeated the household.

    One would expect, then, rather an impressionable person, one with, perhaps,
    the frailty so often ascribed to Holly Maddux. In fact, however, the
    picture is considerably harder to explain. Mrs. Einhorn is no jail widow.
    Unwilling to risk possible arrest for aiding an American fugitive, and with
    Einhorn's lawyers unable to win a guarantee of immunity from prosecutor
    Joel Rosen, she has so far refused to testify in person at her husband's
    trial. She has declined to sell the Moulin de Guitry -- her single asset --
    in order to pay for Norris Gelman's services, leaving her husband to public
    defense lawyers. Her opinions about her husband are open-eyed, neutral, and
    well articulated. She describes her years of marriage as a steady growth
    toward autonomy -- precisely, in an eerie way, the growth that Holly Maddux
    is depicted as achieving in the year before her death. That makes it all
    the more shocking, the irony that on a certain level, Mrs. Einhorn is both
    responsible for her husband's capture -- it was the use of her real name in
    a French driver's license application that led to their discovery -- and,
    now, key to his defense.

    "Honestly Neil, I cannot say that I know if Ira killed or did not kill
    Holly." Talking across a bare wood table in her cozy, homespun, and eerie
    living room, Annika Einhorn explains what it is like to live with a
    suspected murderer. "What I'm saying is that the picture that has been
    presented of Ira as the murderer of Holly is not a picture that matches my
    picture of Ira, the person I lived with. He's not even near this
    impression. No physical violence, no physical abuse, all these things that
    he's consecutively presented with ... My feeling has always been that Ira
    is innocent. That has been a feeling and also a feeling that I've analyzed
    analytically by exposing him to questions so that I've also convinced
    myself intellectually."

    When following the passage in Pennsylvania of the Einhorn Law, the
    Philadelphia D.A.'s office presented France with a new extradition request,
    Annika Einhorn found herself in the new role of activist -- a role to
    which, time would show, she was well suited. Soon, in addition to her
    lawyers, she had enrolled a wide spectrum of the French human rights
    establishment: members of the French government and of the European
    Parliament; Socialist, Communist, and Green Party delegates; the League of
    Human Rights, the influential human rights group S.O.S. Racisme. And as the
    extradition evolved from a legal to a political issue, so did the field of
    attack widen and the affaire Einhorn took on an increasingly political nature.

    On Dec. 1, 1999, District Attorney Lynne Abraham wrote to then Secretary of
    State Madeleine Albright requesting her intervention, expressing high
    indignation that Einhorn remained free, "cavorting in the nude" for an
    Esquire photographer, "free on bail, eating strawberries and blaming the
    CIA for Holly's murder." Albright complied.

    In equal measure, throughout France, human rights advocates gave their
    support to Einhorn. Fodé Sylla, a founder of the enormously influential
    S.O.S. Racisme, lamented the "climate of hysteria ... [the] Sacco and
    Vanzetti climate around Ira." League of Human Rights president Michel
    Tubiana focused on the role of Lynne Abraham. "The personal conduct of the
    Philadelphia D.A. was absolutely mind-blowing," he says. "This woman, if
    she'd had an equivalent position in France and behaved like that, she would
    have been fired. So already, how could we think of extraditing anyone in
    this context, in the middle of this hysteria?

    French supporters saw the question of Einhorn's guilt as a far lesser
    concern than the legal issues of his extradition. Again and again, lawyers
    and politicians bluntly described their lack of concern with Einhorn's
    guilt or the evidence against him, turning the question instead to the
    disproportionate incarceration of African-Americans in U.S. prisons, to the
    death penalty, to the strong conviction that the American press had judged
    Einhorn guilty before trial, to the constant worry that a fair trial for
    Einhorn, given his countercultural activity in the '60s, was impossible.

    For many Americans, the French reaction was outrageous -- and given the
    overwhelming evidence of Einhorn's guilt, it was proof of both Einhorn's
    extraordinary powers of manipulation and of anti-Americanism in France.
    Buffy Hall, Holly Maddux's sister, long committed to bringing Einhorn to
    justice, described Annika Einhorn as "Cleopatra, Queen of Denial." Lynne
    Abraham's office, citing the pending trial, declined to be interviewed for
    this article. But in a published statement, Abraham made her feelings
    clear. "The truth is this," she said: "He is getting away with murder, and
    I am incensed, offended, outraged."

    Notwithstanding the support for Einhorn, successive appeals courts in
    France were declining to stop the extradition, and as they did, the
    decision wound its way closer and closer to Prime Minister Jospin's desk, a
    purely political decision, not unlike a presidential pardon or commutation
    in America. And as it did, the movement to stop Einhorn's extradition
    steadily gained political momentum. The enormously popular and influential
    Jack Lang -- at the time chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee in the
    National Assembly, wrote to Jospin that because the Einhorn Law "could fail
    to be applied by American judges who thought it unconstitutional...
    Einhorn's in absentia conviction could stand, which would be in total
    contradiction of the fundamental principles of French law, as well as with
    the European Convention of Human Rights."

    In May 2000, a petition was delivered to Jospin calling for him to block
    the extradition of Ira Einhorn. Among the 94 prominent signatories were 14
    European deputies and 19 members of the Regional Counsel, as well as
    several French cabinet ministers.

    In the end, in the midsummer of 2001, after over a year's delay and four
    years since Einhorn's original arrest in France, Jospin signed the
    extradition order. According to Noel Mamère, a former presidential
    candidate for the French Green Party, Jospin resisted enormous pressure but
    finally gave in after President Bill Clinton personally intervened.

    Claire Wacquet, a powerful lawyer whose youth and casual language belie her
    extremely high status -- she appears before the final appeals courts in
    France, and her office sits just down the Seine from the Assemblée
    Nationale -- argued the final appeal before the Conseil d'Etat and the
    European court of Human Rights. "I explained that this law giving a new
    trial in reality was not constitutionally sound, either in Pennsylvania or
    in the U.S.A.... I argued that in the constitutional system of the U.S.A.,
    this famous law called the Einhorn Law could very well fail to be applied."

    Wacquet shrugged and smiled. "And the Conseil d'Etat said to me, 'Well, we
    don't care and we don't want to hear about it.'"

    "What happened here was France just caved in," Emmett Fitzpatrick says with
    blunt disdain. "They said, 'Okay, fine, that's alright, if you're going to
    give him a new trial, we'll send him back.' That happens all the time, that
    people will cave in, although they're for these general principles that
    they fight so hard to maintain."

    In mid-July 2001, Einhorn provided reporters with a dramatic illustration
    of what he thought Jospin had done to him: He slit his throat with a
    kitchen knife, leaving the scars that I recognized when I met him in
    Pennsylvania jail. On July 19th, neck swaddled with bandages, Ira Einhorn
    returned to America for the first time in 23 years, escorted by U.S. marshals.

    "It was good to see Ira finally show terror," said an editorial headline in
    the Philadelphia Daily News under a "For Holly" logo. "After 20 years
    Einhorn's Back," ran an earlier headline. "And the World's a Better Place."

    Ira Einhorn's universe is now a simple, clean construction with high
    windows and the peaceful air of a smoothly running workplace. The prison
    guards are polite and respectful and a pleasant, clean visiting room is
    available. During visiting hours a prisoner is always on duty to take
    Polaroids of inmates with their families standing in front of a screen with
    a couple of choices of bucolic countryside backdrops.

    Einhorn drinks Dr. Peppers and eats the healthiest sandwiches available
    from the vending machines while talking virtually without a pause. Watching
    him eat -- my appetite disappears the moment I enter the prison, and a
    heavy sense of oppression lies over me until I've put it well behind me on
    the highway back home -- I try to reconcile the image of Holly Maddux's
    death by battering with the eloquent idealist in front of me.

    Only the blue eyes, with their peculiar intensity, bridge the gap. Watching
    them, again and again, I have to remind myself that the man before me is
    presumed innocent by law, and that, despite the overwhelming circumstantial
    evidence, no one but he -- and, if he is innocent, Holly's actual murderer
    -- knows the truth.

    It's not easy, sitting in Houtzdale before a man who may once have stood
    face to face, as forensic evidence showed that the murderer did, with Holly
    Maddux and beat her with enough force to fracture her skull in six places.
    It's not easy at all, and I soon came to dread my visits to Houtzdale,
    which seemed punishments in their own right.

    Certainly, for the Philadelphia D.A.'s office, for the Maddux family, and
    for the enormous preponderance of Philadelphians who have for decades been
    outraged by Einhorn's flight, anything other than a conviction, next month,
    will be an outrageous miscarriage of justice.

    But for Ira Einhorn and those who have lent their support to him, a perfect
    continuity unites his first incarnation as Philadelphia's entry into the
    countercultural pantheon with his life as a human rights hero in France.

    Certainly the strange legal corner into which the Ira Einhorn case has
    strayed seems to have no fair way out: On one hand, the guilty may go free;
    on the other, the Constitution may be abused. It's a terrifying thing to
    witness, when the legal system offers only two injustices as a response to
    a tragic murder.

    But does anyone remember what Gideon and Miranda, who lent their names to
    crucial legal protections, were actually accused of? It's possible that the
    future will remember the constitutional implications of Ira Einhorn's case
    more than the crime, which in itself is a terrible kind of injustice.

    One afternoon in Philadelphia I asked Gelman: What of Holly Maddux's family
    -- neither powerful, nor rich, nor on the cutting edge of an intellectual
    tradition, just Americans, the people whom the Constitution is there to
    protect? Gelman paused before the question, clearly a key one for any
    criminal lawyer, and answered: "[T]he Constitution does not say that
    everybody who commits a crime will go to jail. It doesn't say that. The
    Constitution does say that if you're accused of a crime, you're entitled to
    a lawyer and jury, proof beyond a reasonable doubt, presumption of
    innocence. That's the way the Constitution is written.

    "As you would expect," he added, as if an afterthought, "having been
    written by revolutionaries who were accused by the Crown of various and
    sundry offenses."
    Neil Gordon is a writer and editor living in New York. His novel "The Sea
    of Green" (Viking) is to be published next year.