Re: [sixties-l] The Eagle Has Crash Landed (fwd)

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 23:59:19 EDT

    There is a great deal to agree with and a great deal to disagree with in
    the Wallerstein article. But, to deal with the question posed in the
    very first paragraph -- or is it an editorial summary -- the
    conservatives ill resist but the gradual decline will most likely become
    a slow and long one. Israel since 1967 is the most likely model, unless
    a 1929 changes everything.
       Wallerstein disregards the unpredictable: the personality factor. If
    Lenin had not died at 54, and his New Economic Policy, a mixed economy,
    had not been cancelled by Stalin in 1931; if a Roosevelt had not emerged
    to save capitalism against the will of the then Solid Democratic White
    South and industry and finance in the North; if the German generals'
    assassination attempt against Hitler in 1944 had succeeded; if the
    Brezhnev leadership had understood that it was not necessary to have
    more than 200 ICBMs and therefore had not taken the American bait of
    matching us missile for missile and going broke in the process; if
    Gorbachev had known the least little bit about economics; if Yeltsin had
    understood that maintaining science and education was the key to his
    country's chances of remaining a significant competitor to American
    power. Will the American people learn to break with the two-party
    system, or will the Democrats continue to be better Republicans than the
    Republicans?
       Americans will remain patriotic, but the word "war" has been reduced
    to an absurdity since Sept. 11, just as the soldiers of World War II
    destroyed the impact of the word "fuck" by making it the all-purpose
    adjective, and generation X has destroyed that of "awesome."
       But, barring a 1929, which seems a likelier possibility today than at
    any time since we of the 1929 generation began thinking it was around
    the corner at the end of World War II, the chances are the U.S. and its
    people will behave like the Israelis, convinced we are invincible as we
    get weaker and weaker. And if we do have a 1929, there is no longer an
    opposing system capable of pointing to its own absence of unemployment,
    as the USSR did during the Great Depression, and no longer inspiring a
    vast worldwide movement that, albeit never numbering more than 100,000
    members in this country, was able to inspire economic and social reforms
    by virtue of the certainty of its members that history was on their
    side. I am afraid all we can say today is that the future lies ahead.
                                    Bill (William) Mandel

    sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu wrote:

> [...]

    My autobiography, SAYING NO TO POWER (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999),
    was written for the general reader. However, if you teach in the social
    sciences consider it for student reading. It is a history of how the
    American
    people fought to defend and expand its rights in my lifetime, employing
    the form of the life story of one who was involved in most serious
    movements: labor, student, peace with the USSR, civil rights South and
    North, civil
    liberties (I seriously damaged the Senate Internal Security Committee,
    the McCarthy Committee, and the House Un-American Activities Committee
    with testimonies that may be heard/seen on my website,
    http://www.billmandel.net ), the RADIO OF DISSENT (37 YEARS ON
    PACIFICA),
    with very extensive information on its history) and the feminist
    movement,
    although I am male. The book contains some fifty pages on my late wife,
    Tanya, appearing appropriately throughout the book. They may be found in
    the index under Mandel, Tanya. My activities began in 1927. I am 85. The
    book
    is available through all normal sources. If you want an autographed
    copy,
    send me $23 at 4466 View Pl., Apt. 106, Oakland, CA. 94611